Wanting to purchase a Pellet Smoker question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't own a pooper, but I would think it depends on where you live(humidity rainfall) and how often you use it(daily, weekly, monthly).

Chris

With my MAK 2 Star it's not really an issue given the easy dump door. Less than 5 sec to clear out unused pellets back into the storage container. Gravity is your friend. While that is my usual process after each smoke, I have left the hopper partially filled for a number of days without incident.

I don't own a pooper, but I would think it depends on where you live(humidity rainfall) and how often you use it(daily, weekly, monthly).

Chris

Chris is correct.

I own a Camp Chef Woodwind and as a matter of habit I do empty my hopper and auger tube between smokes.

1. Because I don't want to take the chance with the pellets absorbing moisture.

2. I would have to anyway if I decided to use a different flavor of pellets on the next smoke.

3. Gives me a chance and reminds me to clean out the combustion box, cooking grills, and body of the grill.

4. I never want to have to tear apart my pellet feeder and auger to dig out damp, mushy pellets.

5. And besides, I have always been pretty anal about cleaning any of my grills/smokers after use.

I have learned that keeping up with the maintenance of expensive equipment gives them much longer life.

That's just me, I hope this helps,

John

Last edited:
I have a Grilla Silverbac. I've settled on a mix of pellets I'm happy with; so I'm not changing pellets. I live in New
York & weather has been crappy lately. Pellets were in the hopper for a couple weeks when I went in for surgery; leaving the grill sitting for 4 more weeks. It sits out on my deck with the factory cover; no issues. Cleaned the ash out & fired right up.

I’ve had one for almost two years and I’ve never emptied out the hopper. I’ve never had an issue with wet pellets.

Not to say it can’t happen but it’s really only necessary if you let it sit unused for over a month.

I’ve had one for almost two years and I’ve never emptied out the hopper. I’ve never had an issue with wet pellets.

Not to say it can’t happen but it’s really only necessary if you let it sit unused for over a month.

I realize that I am overly cautious but I have always been that way.

Honestly though, I believe the only way the pellets will become water soaked is if you leave the smoker out in the rain uncovered or if you cover is leaking badly.

Last edited:
Anything is possible but I think in general it’s ok to leave them in the hopper for up to a month. My hopper is built in such a way that the lid overlaps the sides of the hopper.

I’m not 100% sure but I think most are built this way.

I leave my grill uncovered year round and never empty the hopper. It's never been a problem, even with heavy rainfall.

Thanks for all the replys, sounds like a couple weeks won't be a problem,it would get used at least weekly

I have had my smoker for almost a year and I have never emptied the hopper. There are periods when I use the smoker frequently and then there are times I may not use for 4 to 6 weeks. My smokers sets on my carport but I always keep it covered when not in use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky