Walleye and MES30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wallypedal

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Torrington Wyoming
Absolute noobie to smoking, and have spent probably 4 hours on this site soaking it all in. I researched (searched) everything I could track down of interest, and I've got to say the search tool is one of the best and the organizing and handling of topics and threads is way beyond many of the other forums I belong to. Great job!

I fish for and catch walleye and we love to cook it up for ourselves and friends. I searched here and found some examples, but I have to say most of the recipes for electric smokers are pretty much oven baking, sitting on foil and in butter and other stuff so the bottom part kinda boils. Now, that's still some fine eating, but I wonder about introducing a little more smoke. On my regular gas grill I use something we call the "Holy Grill" - it's a grill plate with 1/2" holes spaced out pretty close together, and designed for cooking things like fish that want to fall apart. I brush melted butter with some Mrs. Dash original and lemon pepper on the pat-dried filets, both sides. Cooking time to flakiness is about 2 minutes each side (I do turn them). Yum!  I used some lemon juice in the melted butter a couple times, but that makes the fish rubbery. Really.

So, I'm going to make up a rub/glaze, wrap the fish and refrigerate for a couple hours, then try smoking it on the "Holy Grill" without turning until it gets flaky. I will take pictures and post the outcome when I get it done. I'm thinking a smoker temp of about 220, and hope it takes long enough to let the smoke penetrate well.

Wallypedal

Reactions: falmund
I wait with baited breath.....get it, BAITED......yeah.  I'm curious to see how this turns out, I've only tried smoking Salmon, and we ended up with salt bricks with the texture of hockey pucks.  My own fault, misread the recipe.  Having sampled some serious Wally Walleye, I'm sure it will work out.

one should not confuse salt and sugar in recipes, or flour and powdered sugar for that matter! Did you get the Jeff's rub and sauce recipes? CSR's in the box!

Last edited:
oops, don't know how to delete a double post! one should not confuse salt and sugar in recipes, or flour and powdered sugar for that matter! Did you get the Jeff's rub and sauce recipes?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky