Vertical Pellet Smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blacknwhite71

Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
I've been using a Bradley smoker and liked it, but I want to try a pellet smoker. I've been looking at the Camp Chef XXL and some of the Pit Boss verticals. Do either of these put out heavy enough smoke to really smoke meats or is it more of a clean burn without much smoke flavor like pellet grills?

They are pellet grills, my sons PB 5 might give a little more smoke than my Austin LX .never had anything off a Bradley so not sure how it compares, I can get more smoke flavor from my electric Masterbuilt easier than my pellet smoker

Reactions: blacknwhite71
I agree with Mike...I have both a Masterbuilt vertical and a grill and there's no more smoke flavor from the vertical, just more space inside. If you like your meat smokey, you pretty much have to add some of your own separate smoke generating methods.

I love my Camp Chef XXL. I have the older, non-WiFi version. I added a couple extra racks and the blanket for cooking here in NY. It works perfectly and holds temps very well. It is a smoker and therefore won't get much hotter than 325-350. If want extra smoke I will use either my AmazeN tube or the AmazeN tray smoker.

Thanks, I've sold my Bradley and am going to get a Pitboss or Camp Chef XXL. Now I have to try to decide on which one.

The Smoke Daddy looks really good, it's just kinda pricey for my first try at a pellet smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky