Vertical cabinet smoker build & modification

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jprince67

Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
So here is the smoker I built 3 years ago. I was fed up with my "BBQ Grill" that i added a fire box to, and decided to build this to handle any weather conditions. It is 2" square tube, 14 ga steel, insulated, 5 racks, can fit 10 full rib racks, 2' X 2'and stands 4 1/2' tall on casters. Ive been using it with no problems, and very happy with the end result.
_sIkuSVJTHO_k2V2FwQlOg.jpeg
5qdUlskGR3Ol3MEJtiEXNg.jpeg
8BjvI87TRmyG2tGNC7UtxA.jpeg
78-XrVufQIuJISNWimBw6Q.jpeg
BVaGTQeER7ezHmRmouGoBA.jpeg
DLZSWQXsRiu49e-AEgQuJQ.jpeg
LaCa80ThS_S-eRG42eUWOw.jpeg
LSD7X9m8T7i4X-4d1km_rg.jpeg
SgKHWEkgTTS0hTUmBrsX2w.jpeg
Vcjn4YT9SQOmyv2EOCVkyQ.jpeg
yXd8DyXRR2GCkkmiPgXD3A.jpeg

Gotta love the toggle clamps to hold the doors closed! the insulation is great for maintaining a more consistent temp. The design is worth studying for shure.

I use a large CI pan for the water, I like that I can control flare ups by catching any grease. The fire box is a minion style, uses lump coal with chunks.
CACD1E81-D513-49AC-812A-785017BB863D.jpeg

Reactions: campfirestu
Wow! That is an awesome setup. I'm hoping to build something similar after I get my trailer build sold. Looking for a very easy to operate system that holds steady on overnight smokes. How much charcoal do you use a longer smoke?

Wow! That is an awesome setup. I'm hoping to build something similar after I get my trailer build sold. Looking for a very easy to operate system that holds steady on overnight smokes. How much charcoal do you use a longer smoke?
It doesn’t use much, 1/2 a bag plus chunks to complete a brisket in 8-10 hours. I only fill it a third full of charcoal, when the cook is done, by closing of the vents, I have leftover charcoal for next time.

No problem, yes there is a gasket, I use 1/2" x 1/8" Lavalock High Temp Nomex BBQ HT gasket smoker seal, self stick grey
I just replaced it during this mod, not bad for a self adhesive gasket to make 3 years with abuse, grease and fire getting to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky