Venturi Burner - My next project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI

I am on to my next project. After completing my meat fermentation/curing chamber I need to move on to the next gadget and build.... :emoji_blush: :emoji_sunglasses:

I am working on a propane venturi burner to light my smoker and grill and to also heat up my oven if I don't want to use wood.

Here is the basic design... Very low tech but quite effective.

dwg1.png

The only big challenge is positioning the gas outlet orifice in the burner assembly. I looked at several designs and have determined that I don't have the tooling required for the precision needed for the air/fuel intake portion of the design. On to plan B....

I found this little gem on one of my favorite gadget sites.....

All the critical machining already done. How convenient...

I will add updates when I get the hardware together.

Speaking of which.... Anyone know where I can purchase an adjustable 30 - 50 PSI propane regulator?

JC :emoji_cat:

I am on to my next project. After completing my meat fermentation/curing chamber I need to move on to the next gadget and build.... :emoji_blush: :emoji_sunglasses:

I am working on a propane venturi burner to light my smoker and grill and to also heat up my oven if I don't want to use wood.

Here is the basic design... Very low tech but quite effective.

View attachment 490227

The only big challenge is positioning the gas outlet orifice in the burner assembly. I looked at several designs and have determined that I don't have the tooling required for the precision needed for the air/fuel intake portion of the design. On to plan B....

I found this little gem on one of my favorite gadget sites.....

All the critical machining already done. How convenient...

I will add updates when I get the hardware together.

Speaking of which.... Anyone know where I can purchase an adjustable 30 - 50 PSI propane regulator?

Hi JC

What are your thoughts on controlling the temps? Are you going to regulate the pressure to control the temp?

I began studying the Ole Hickory EL series pits and decided to try to mimic the process they use as close as I could given the equipment I have. That's why your post was interesting.

Are you going to use the flame to ignite the flavor wood?

This is what I use to ignite my flavor wood.
burner.jpg

Thanks for the post

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Hi JC

What are your thoughts on controlling the temps? Are you going to regulate the pressure to control the temp?

I began studying the Ole Hickory EL series pits and decided to try to mimic the process they use as close as I could given the equipment I have. That's why your post was interesting.

Are you going to use the flame to ignite the flavor wood?

This is what I use to ignite my flavor wood.
View attachment 490271

Thanks for the post

I haven't thought much about temp control yet but it is a great question. If I needed temp control, I would add a PID controller, solenoid valve, and igniter. That is a future expansion of the burner.

Right now I plan on using gas pressure and flow mostly to control the flame. Right now, I am only planning on using it to ignite charcoal or heat up my wood fired stone oven.

I have some co-workers that are getting into blade smithing due to the popular show Forged in Fire.

I looked into the equipment needed to forge metal and I found these burners and I was like hey, I can use that to light charcoal.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

I haven't thought much about temp control yet but it is a great question. If I needed temp control, I would add a PID controller, solenoid valve, and igniter. That is a future expansion of the burner.

Right now I plan on using gas pressure and flow mostly to control the flame. Right now, I am only planning on using it to ignite charcoal or heat up my wood fired stone oven.

I have some co-workers that are getting into blade smithing due to the popular show Forged in Fire.

I looked into the equipment needed to forge metal and I found these burners and I was like hey, I can use that to light charcoal.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

I have a propane-fired tube for my flavor wood - or I can ignite mesquite charcoal (have not tried that yet). It is plumbed into an electric smoker.

Thanks for the reply...Campfirestu

If you are adding the torch to the inside of a enclosed firebox (IE no open bottom), I would highly recommend a gas safety valve that will shut off the gas if the "fire" goes out. A high pressure torch will put a very large amount of "gas" out in a short time and make a enclosed box a very unsafe situation.

If you are adding the torch to the inside of a enclosed firebox (IE no open bottom), I would highly recommend a gas safety valve that will shut off the gas if the "fire" goes out. A high pressure torch will put a very large amount of "gas" out in a short time and make a enclosed box a very unsafe situation.

Very good advice. I was not planning on running it unattended. If I add a PID and gas valve, I will add a gas shutoff.

Reactions: campfirestu
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky