Venison Texas Hot Links Fat question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
I am considering my next sausage type and the texas hot link seems like it fits the bill. Typically I mix pork, pork fat, and venison for my sausage. I have both beef and pork fat in my freezer as well as some 80/20 ground venison/beef fat that I could use. Would you stick to the beef fat and go with just beef fat venison? Or would you go with the pork/venison? Opinions? I'll be using Chef Willies recipe since it's got a cult following on here :-)

I'm with Dan.
How long has the beef fat been in the freezer? It seems to not last as long as pork fat in the freezer...at least to me....
Though beef fat is a big deal in Texas for use in hot links....but in those BBQ joints they grill them to finish for the plate and the fat out is both expected and desirable...makes the link juicy for presentation on the plate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky