Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

R Blum

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Just finished making venison summer sausage using mostly backstrap with some pork fat. I know, why waste good backstrap for summer sausage. Around where I live deer are a real nuisance. The farmers are happy to get rid of them. Into the smoker and then after reaching temperature I put into the snow. Sausage turned out tasting Great. My casing are always like this. How do I keep my casing tight? Hope you like the pictures.
upload_2018-1-11_12-33-46.png

upload_2018-1-11_12-34-20.png
upload_2018-1-11_12-35-2.png

Attachments

• P1100001.JPG
    P1100001.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P1100001.JPG
    P1100001.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P1100001.JPG
    P1100001.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: tallbm and SmokinAl
Excellent! I'm too new to making sausage to comment on what to do about the casings, but I'm sure the journeymen will chime in.

Just finished making venison summer sausage using mostly backstrap with some pork fat. I know, why waste good backstrap for summer sausage. Around where I live deer are a real nuisance. The farmers are happy to get rid of them. Into the smoker and then after reaching temperature I put into the snow. Sausage turned out tasting Great. My casing are always like this. How do I keep my casing tight? Hope you like the pictures.

Hi there and welcome!

I didn't see an issue with the casing. Best I can say is immediately cool them down but it looks like you did that in the snow.

As for Backstrap used that way, I hear ya. I process all the deer we shoot almost all by myself and one year I just decided quickly clean the skin off and grind the backstraps and HOLY CRAP does it make amazing pure grind! I never had a second thought about it since :)

I bet that backstrap summer sausage is amazing!

Thanks all. Yes it tasted Great. My father in law loved it and he is very hard to please, so I must have done something right.

Casings look fine to me too. What do you think is wrong with them??

I guess they looked wrinkled to me but I guess they aren't that bad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky