Venison summer sausage using the smoker and sous vide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking SS, I don't think I ever had one look so perfect.
What was the texture like at 140°?
Dan, the texture was excellent, all sticks were perfect. I won't crowd the next batch and will do 4 hours instead of 4.5.
after you were done in the SV, did you re-bag the sausage after cooling in the snow?
RNV, I put all the bags in the fridge that night and cut and repacked all but one stick in the AM . The one whole sausage is still in the SV bag to be given to a friend as is.

Reactions: DanMcG
Dan, the texture was excellent, all sticks were perfect. I won't crowd the next batch and will do 4 hours instead of 4.5.

RNV, I put all the bags in the fridge that night and cut and repacked all but one stick in the AM . The one whole sausage is still in the SV bag to be given to a friend as is.
i was wondering when you open the sv bag if you have to mop up a little grease and moisture and let them air dry a bit before final package

i was wondering when you open the sv bag if you have to mop up a little grease and moisture and let them air dry a bit before final package
RNV, I wiped off what seemed like smoke residue on the bags that I opened to cut up and repack. I thought about air drying but I have had that residue before on my VSS and repacked and eaten months later with no noticable decrease in flavor or texture.

I just got a SV for Christmas this year. Looking forward to doing summer sausage this way!

So your finished internal temp of the sausage ended at 140?
WIGM, I never probed the sausage but went with Baldwins chart http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html for time and temp for a safe product. I would say it was at 140 as it was in the bath for over the required time.

That looks awesome CM!

Good use for that pesky snow!! I have some for free of you’re interested.

I always said beer taste better when it’s left outside in the snow, I guess we could add vss to that.

Like!!

Reactions: crazymoon
Sorry for my ignorance, but what kind of chips, sawdust opr pellets do you use to get smoke at 140° ? I always see post on the internet about people smoking venison at 140°-165°, but my MES 30" will not smoke dry chips below 175° and even that is only certain types of wood, some don't smoke until closer to 200°.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what kind of chips, sawdust opr pellets do you use to get smoke at 140° ? I always see post on the internet about people smoking venison at 140°-165°, but my MES 30" will not smoke dry chips below 175° and even that is only certain types of wood, some don't smoke until closer to 200°.
O214, I have a smoker designed for sausage making(PK100), it will go down to 60 *.The only drawback to this smoker is the top temp is only 250*.I use the Luhr-Jehnsen chips in my smoker,you should check out the Amaze-N tray or tube that uses pellets and will let you smoke things like cheese in your MES.

Reactions: Outlook214
I made my annual Christmas time venison summer sausage a little different this year. Here's the main ingredients;
View attachment 424495
I usually go 7 pounds venison to 3 pounds pork butt-I didn't have my glasses on when I weighed the venison and read the scales wrong.I didn't discover my error until the next day when the meat was thawed. I only had 5.5 pounds of venny so I added 4.5 pounds of the leanest pork butt I could trim off a butt.
View attachment 424497
I ground up through a 3/16 plate twice and mixed in spices,cheese(1 pound for 10 pounds of meat) and 1 cup of diced jalapenos.
View attachment 424498
I stuffed into 61mm casings that had been soaked in lukewarm water for 45minutes and left in the fridge until the next day.My tools of the trade for stuffing come in handy:
View attachment 424500
View attachment 424501
The next morning I dried the sausage in the smoker for and hour+ at 120-130* and then hit them with hickory chips at 140* for two hours. After many questions and great answers from our SMF crew I went to the sous vide with my sausgae for 4.5 hours at 140*. Baldwins chart said 3.25 hours for my size casings and DaveOmak said an hour longer doesnt' hurt. The sausage was a bit crowded in the container so I went a bit longer.Into the snow they went for an hour :
View attachment 424502
View attachment 424503
I cut into them today and they are perfect!!! I will do all my VSS this way from now on.
View attachment 424504
All packed up and ready to give out at Christmas time. Thanks for looking, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at SMF! CM
View attachment 424505
looks great .. in going to try this weekend . What does your Sv container look like?? I’m trying to figure out something to use since the sausage are so long thx

looks great .. in going to try this weekend . What does your Sv container look like?? I’m trying to figure out something to use since the sausage are so long thx
PA42, My container is an Anova brand and it is about 18 inches long,a lot of folks use insulated coolers to SV their products.Figure out your container and make your SS to fit it,hopefully you have the continous roll of vac seal bags to cut to your specific length. Have fun !

Reactions: pa42phigh
Looks great! Nice job. Was actually planning on something similar and Dave Omak pointed out something I'd never read or heard in that SV will make the smoke more intense. 2hrs would not seem enough smoke for me and I would do 6-8hr but have not SV'd after a yet. Any thoughts?

Reactions: pa42phigh
PA42, My container is an Anova brand and it is about 18 inches long,a lot of folks use insulated coolers to SV their products.Figure out your container and make your SS to fit it,hopefully you have the continous roll of vac seal bags to cut to your specific length. Have fun !
That’s what I was thinking about a cooler..Yes I have rolls of bags Thx for the reply

Reactions: crazymoon
I have a dedicated container with a lid , but for large chubs or large amounts I just used a regular cooler . Heats up just fine . Good advice above about fitting to what you have .
20181129_121553.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky