venison sausage - which wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gkainz

Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Arvada, CO
I've pretty much always used apple wood chips for smoking venison sausage. My kids bought a couple of bags of wood chips for me to try - which do you think I should try first? The Apple, Cherry or Maple?
Greg

hello gkainz

i use cherry mostly for poultry and fish and i use apple for bacon poultry and i have not used maple but i would try it for the sausage or i would try the apple i mainly use hickory on all my sausage i like it best just use what ever you like
salmonclubber

Howdy gkainz. Everyone uses hickory, cherry is good on lighter meats, you already use a lot of apple. I think if I were wanting to try something new, I'd go with the maple.

Just my opinion

Keep Smokin

Thanks, guys. It's a sort-of breakfast blend of sausage. Sort of, because I took an old standby family recipe and threw a few more spices into the mix, like Monterey Steak Spice instead of just black cracked pepper, a little red pepper flake and some bbq rub. The meat is 30% venison, 20% elk and 50% pork.

I took the familiar way out and grabbed the apple, but maple is next on the list to try. Right now I'm trying to smoke the sausage in a freakin' blizzard, as the winds kicked up and is swirling snow all over the yard. I'm having a heck of a time keeping the temps regulated - guess I'm going to start draping tarps up for wind blocks ...

Greg

I use oak.
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky