Venison Osso Buco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

potsieko

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
St. Amant, LA
Being an avid outdoorsman for all my life, I pride myself in bringing my game from field to table - processing/smoking/curing/cooking. In all my years of harvesting deer, I've never kept the shanks. After a tip from a fellow hunter, this past season I saved all the hocks from both deer I harvested. I found this recipe in my John Folse cookbook, and decided to give it a go! All I have to say is I'm mad at myself for never doing this sooner!

Ingredients:
8 venison shanks
1/2 cup olive oil
2 T butter
salt & pepper to taste
Granulated garlic to taste
Louisiana hot sauce to taste
1 cup flour
2.5 cups diced onions
1/2 cup celery
1/4 cup minced garlic
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup dry red wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 t dry basil
1 t dry thyme
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 T lemon zest
1/2 cup sliced green onions

Preheat oven to 375* - heat olive oil and butter in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season shanks generously with salt, pepper, garlic and hot sauce. I tied my shanks with butcher twine to keep them from falling apart. Dredge well in flour, shaking off excess. Cook a few shanks at a time until golden brown on all sides.

Remove and set aside until all are browned. To the pan drippings, add onions, celery, minced garlic and carrots. Saute' 3-5 minutes until veggies are wilted. Remove any excess oil and add red wine. Bring to a rolling boil then reduce by half while scraping all drippings from pot. Blend in chicken stock, basil, thyme, tomatoes, bay laves and parsley.

Bring to a low boil then add shanks back into the pot, basting them before covering and placing in the pre-heated oven. Bake at 375* for 1.5-2 hours or until fork tender, basting occasionally. Garnish with lemon zest and green onions, serve over cooked pasta, rice or jambalaya and top with sauce.

IMG_0424.jpg

I served mine over rice on "fine China", since I was at the camp.

IMG_0426.jpg

Needless to say, I will be making that again!

Reactions: kawboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky