Venison Jerky - Smoker & Dehydrator?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hanksmeat

Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Lexington, SC
I have my venison ground, I have my prague powder, marinades and spices.  I have my Weston Jerky gun and my Nesco plastic dehydrator.  I want to utilize my smoker to get the hickory smoke flavor so I am wondering if it makes sense to use the dehydrator first to get the ground jerky somewhat movable, and then transfer it to the smoker to finish it?

A) Does this make sense?

B) what would be the right temperature and time?

C) if I keep my smoker below 200F, do you think the plastic trays from the Nesco would be okay to stack in the smoker?

Thanks!

Put it in the smoker full time, don't use the plastic racks, do you have a cookie cooling rack instead, or some q mats?? I would keep smoker no higher than 170 that should be good. good luck and remember the q view

MARINADE FOR BEEF, FISH OR TURKEY JERKY
3cups soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup liquid smoke (If smoking it in a smoker, omit this)

If heat is required, add some Crushed Chili Peppers or some Cayenne Pepper or Ghost Pepper sauce, if your up to it, use whatever spice/sauce you want.

Mix together, let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1-2 pounds of meat and let marinate
for 3 hours or overnight in an airtight container.

Drain, place on trays to dry or use your Smoker, start to finish or smoke 3 hours at 170 degrees then finish the Jerky in the dehydrator.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky