Venison ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dennis8483

Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
First time trying this. Have been brining a hind quarter since Christmas day, injecting every other day. Pretty simple brine... kosher salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, some spices, little bit of pink salt.

Smoked today for about 9-10 hours on hickory. Some of the juiciest ham I've ever had... 10/10 will do again.
20210103_174346.jpg
20210103_174435.jpg

I'm liking this. Are the daily injections from the curing brine in the bucket, or did you reserve some from the initial mixture? What was the final internal temp of the thickest part of the leg?

I'm liking this. Are the daily injections from the curing brine in the bucket, or did you reserve some from the initial mixture? What was the final internal temp of the thickest part of the leg?
Took it to 140. Then carved and heated in oven on tray for a few minutes so it was ready in time for dinner. Was planning on going to 150

Reactions: thirdeye
Took it to 140. Then carved and heated in oven on tray for a few minutes so it was ready in time for dinner. Was planning on going to 150
Right from the curing bucket. Used a cooler to lay quarter down. Think I made 4 gallons of brine just because of big awkward size

Interesting...I see you left the fat on eh?
Yeah didnt trim because I had a family member gry to convince me that a ham that isnt mechanically packed or netted would fall apart. Figured it wouldn't, but left the entire quarter intact. Ended up peeling muscle groups apart and had very little trimmed off. No tallow or waxy mouth residue at all.

More of an experimental run for 2 bear hams in a couple weeks...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky