Venison ham? Sort of...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatnbeer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Cross Plains, WI
I have a 2lb chunk of venison that came from the hind quarter that I want to make in to a "ham".  I have search the intarwebs and this site but couldn't really find what I wanted to know so I am winging it based on some of the information I found.  Hope I don't screw this up.  I need your opinions.  I am sure that some of you out there are starting to get to know me as someone that doesn't "do things by the books".  But hey, I am still alive and there are VERY few things I have made that were fed to the dogs (they are still alive also).

Anyway,  as I stated I have a 2lb chunk of venison from the hind quarter.  I have made a solution of 1 cup morton's TQ, 4 cups water, brown sugar, white sugar, honey, (approx 1 cup of sugar between the three of them) garlic, cloves, and pickling spice.  The meat is in and placed in the fridge.  The thickest part of the meat is about 4 inches, so I have to figure out how long to cure it for.  I will look that up later.

My biggest concern is that no where that I was looking could I find a recipe for a ham cure that used TQ in a wet brine.  So I'm not really sure that my proportions are correct.  I want to cold smoke followed by a smoke to ~155 - 160F, with the intentions of making sandwich meat.

What say you all mighty peeps of the SMF? 

huh, looks like I need to update my signature.  Pretty out dated to my current arsenal....

Last edited:
If I were using TQ, I would have combination cured a piece that small (2 lbs.) with 2 tbsps. TQ.

The time required depends not only on the thickness, especially for a piece that small , but also how it was cut.

Do you have a pic?

~Martin

I can supply a pic later, right now it is in the cure. I agree with you that 2 tablespoons would be correct for 2 pounds of meat for a dry cure or sausage. But since I am doing a wet cure I was unsure where to go with proportions. I based the cure on another recipe I found. BTW. The meat is basically a round roast.

There are various ways that it could be done with the 2 tbsp. of TQ.
Since you're using a flavored brine, I probably would have went with what I've come to call a saturated brine, pumping part of it and brining in the balance.

The big benefit of a calculated cure like that is that there's almost zero chance in ending up with something that's nothing but a salt lick.

~Martin

Last edited:
That floating egg trick isn't reliable.
Meaning at or around the saturation point of salt which is 26% or so .
I didn't know what else to call it. LOL
Point is, it uses a minimum amount of water for maximum flavor concentration.

~Martin

If your going to use TQ as a brine you might want to use their directions on the package for the brine. Secondly, if it was me I would call them or email and ask them about it. 1 cup of TQ to 4 cups water seems like a bunch.. I thought it was closer to 1 cup to a gallon of water.

I know it has been a while since I put this in the brine, but things just came up and I didn't have a chance to do anything with it.  I'm at home today with a sick kid, so there is no better time than the present to take care of it. 

I took it out of the brine, rinsed it off and have it sitting in cold water right now.  How long do you think I should let it soak so that it does't "taste like a salt lick"? 

I'm planning on doing a small 2-3lb venison  ham. I have some instacure #1, it says to use 5tbs. for 5lbs of meat, this is like for sausage and such. Would that be the same in a brine for soaking and injecting ? That is my main concern on how much instacure to use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky