Venison Backstrap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Evolution1906

Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
About to smoke some backstrap. Using a mesquite and hickory woodchip mix. Found a nice recipe for a marinade using apple juice and rum. Letting it soak for a few hours and then about to fire this deer up. Any last minute suggestions? I have seen some great tips on this forum.

I'm interested how it turns out? I have some deer in the freezer but have never smoked the strap yet. I was told that it gets chewy if you overcook it so I was hesitant in smoking it. Do you have an IT goal you are going to?

I cooked a bacon wrapped stuffed venison backstrap following Malcom Reed's recipe on youtube came out delicious. 350 degrees for about 30 minutes on the smoker and took it off at 130 degrees

One of my better Stuffed Backstrap recipes is done with smoked sausage.
Butterfly the Backstrap
Grill or smoke your favorite link sausage.
Grill some onion and bell pepper.
Put hot sausage and veggies in Backstrap and truss with twine.
Sear Backstrap in cast iron skillet.
Can be wrapped in bacon too.

Hey guys.....I smoked it at 225 degrees for about 45 minutes. I took it out and wrapped it in foil with some honey and homemade marinade. I put it back in the smoker for another 45 minutes. I came out great. My daughter hates deer sausage but tore into the backstrap. I am still on the fench with the new smoker but the meat turned out fine. Thank you for all the tips.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky