Vac pack Pork shoulder from Costco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougCA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
Hi everyone,

I picked up a pork shoulder in the vac pac a couple of weeks back when it was on sale. It's about time to open and cook. I got the smallest I could find. 12lbs.! Is it going to be one or two? Anyone know?

I have a bag of Lumberjack cayenne pepper pellets I plan to use to smoke it and make carnitas or something. I never used that flavor before so figure I'd give it a try on the pork shoulder.

I’m guessing one. Let us know about how the pellets turn out for, I’m very curious about the flavor. Make sure to take lots of pictures too.
Can you get a picture of the bag of pellets too? I don’t see that listed on their website.

Reactions: DougCA
Send a pic and we can tell you for sure.
2jjleyt.jpg
1idANtp.jpg

Reactions: TNJAKE
Yep, 2 boneless butts there. I do like that you can get more seasoning into boneless butts and they seem to cook faster.

What Jake said. I was pretty sure by the weight that it was a 2 pack. It's pretty rare I find a single butt weighing much over #8.

What Jake said. I was pretty sure by the weight that it was a 2 pack. It's pretty rare I find a single butt weighing much over #8.
I see 10+ around here often on bone in. But a 12lb is definitely unusual. I prefer in the 8-9lb range.

I wonder if I should vac seal one and freeze for later or cook them both then vac seal portion sizes and freeze.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky