using pork shoulder frozen solid since October 2003

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ranger72

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 18, 2005
Hi Guys,

In October of 2003 I bought a 600 pound piggie on the hoof and had it professionally butchered. All of the cuts were shrunk/vacuum wrapped in very heavy plastic.

Today I found a pork shoulder which had escaped/evaded since that time.This has never been thawed and I wonder if I could have a few opinions as to whether it would be safe to Que it up after all this time?

If the general consensus is that it is safe do you think it would be any good to eat after brining/rubbing/smoking?

Thanks for opinions,

ranger72 :?:

Ranger72,

The National Pork Board says:
What length of time can I keep pork in the freezer?
Generally, fresh cuts of pork, like roasts, chops and tenderloin can be kept well-wrapped in the freezer up to 6 months. Well-wrapped ground pork can be kept for about 3 months in the freezer.

I know I have used pork that was in my freezer longer than 6 months, probably used it after a year in the freezer with out any problem. But I do not know if I would use pork that is pushing 2 years in the freezer.

I guess my answer to your question is no I would not use it. I know it would be hard for me to toss a good cut of meat.

This is just my opinion, and opinions are like peopleâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s behinds. Everyone has one and all of them stink.

Dan

Thank you for the response sickpuppy,

Yes. You are right and I am going to toss this shoulder and it is a damn shame that it got hidden behind some old deer meat that I was saving for baiting coyotes.I guess I'll just add it to that pile.

Sure was a tasty piggy :(

ranger72

thanks again!

If it were mine I would thaw it and check it out first. If it has minimal to no freezer burn, and smells ok, and has a good color I would use it. Being that it was vacuum packed in plastic, and never thawed is a good thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky