Using old fence post as smoke stack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hilltoppernole

Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
FL
I have a Barrell grill that I am starting to make mods to. It was given to me homemade and did not have any smoke stacks on it. I use this for high heat grilling and not smoking.

The welding class at the school I work is going to cut the holes to put two small smoke stacks on top. Anybody ever used old fence post for a smoke stack?

I'm not coming up with any round fence post with big enough diameter... Only thing comes to mind is chain link fence... Those post are no more than 2'' in diameter AND most are galvanized...

Maybe more detail on the post your thinking of ?

Reactions: DougE
I have a Barrell grill that I am starting to make mods to. It was given to me homemade and did not have any smoke stacks on it. I use this for high heat grilling and not smoking.
https://papersowl.com/examples/gender-pay-gap/
The welding class at the school I work is going to cut the holes to put two small smoke stacks on top. Anybody ever used old fence post for a smoke stack?
Any piece of iron that suits you by diameter will be good for this purpose.

Last edited:
Chain link fence post typically doesn't get larger than 2-7/8 which I agree is a bit small. (Conduit or round downspout may be other economical options.)

How long were you envisioning it being? If you're only going 6-9" in length, the pressure drop from the small diameter prob won't be too bad. I don't worry as much as many do about zinc at normal exhaust temps, but there's always a chance of a grease fire resulting in flames in the exhaust pipe. Of course then you're maybe trashing your food anyway.

Not sure how you were planning on attaching that stack, but if you're welding it, most welders want to remove the galvanizing before welding anyway.
Another option for is round downspout.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky