Using jamon serano questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Picked up a Jamon Serrano from Costco and have a few questions.
1) what can you use the rind for? I'm tempted to just throw it is soups and things like that. Any other suggestions?
2) last time we got one, a good amount of it dried out and molded and had to be trimmed off. We just don't eat 12 lbs of ham that fast. This time I was thinking of trimming off big sections to be sliced and preserved. Can I slide it thin, vac seal and freeze? Or is it better to freeze and then slide once thawed?
Thanks!

to be honest, I had to google what you were talking about and it turns out I don't now the answers to your questions, but I'm interested in following along!

I would not freeze at all. The mold is normal and can be scrubbed or washed off with a little diluted vinegar.
If you had to carve into chunks then I would keep them whole and vacuum pack and refrigerate.
If you could store in a cooler area of the house or even outside in a cooler that would help with drying out. Cover the cut area with a piece of saran wrap.
All said that is my two cents and I am sure others will offer advice as well.
Enjoy the ham!!

These are difficult to work with at home, as you pretty much have to go through a *lot* of very rich meat in a relatively short time frame (but so delicious!). Because the idea is to showcase the leg - and your carving skills - simply having a lot of guests over (and often, until it's finished) is best. At the end of each day, covering up the exposed meat with large swaths of the fat/skin, wrapped with plastic wrap or cheesecloth (depending on humidity) and twine, will help slow the drying out or mold somewhat, but both are pretty much inevitable and a warning sign to hurry up and eat.
1) Once I have more 'rind' than I need for protecting the meat, I render as much grease out as I can. Mix and match with other oils depending on use/flavor. The remaining solids go into a friend's crab traps. Niche case, but I got nothing better, unless you have a hankerin' for fancy pork cracklings...
2) I would think slicing will always be easiest earlier on, both in terms of texture and leverage. For the price - even at Costco - I'd steer clear of freezing if at all possible and just stick to refrigeration.

Thanks for the tips!
Unfortunately it's really dry here, which does make it tough. I'm going to do a better job rubbing it with lard. I was also thinking about saturating a tea towel in lard to help it be not effective at protection.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky