Using Chunks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gardener2000

Original poster
May 22, 2022
I am searching for a big box price range electric smoker that can use chunks. I would prefer buying used because I don't want to assemble, and I'll save some $$$. Lots of used smokers in my area, but all seem to use chips only. Any suggestions?

It seemed like I had a Masterbuilt that used chunks, but it stopped working.

While not exactly big box prices/smokers, Smokin_It and Smokin Tex both use wood chunks instead of chips.
Good luck finding owners who are selling theirs.

Reactions: JC in GB
I looked at the Smoking It and I would need to spend upwards of $800 plus dollars, even $1000, and that is not reasonable for me even if it's a very good product. That is why I specifically mentioned big box type prices. I have seen used Smokin Tex smokers being sold used and was told by the sellers they take chips. If that isn't true, perhaps I should investigate further.

I looked at the Smoking It and I would need to spend upwards of $800 plus dollars, even $1000, and that is not reasonable for me even if it's a very good product. That is why I specifically mentioned big box type prices. I have seen used Smokin Tex smokers being sold used and was told by the sellers they take chips. If that isn't true, perhaps I should investigate further.

You should investigate further.
When purchasing a new SmokinTex, they include chunks to season the smoker with. Plus, SmokinTex sells wood chunks on their site. If their smokers weren't designed to use chunks, then they would make that well known.

Brand spanking new Model 1400 for $649.

Granted the 1400 is analog as opposed to PID.
But your big box stores are going to carry mostly mid grade consumer electric smokers designed for chips only.

You could also check into an MES and use an A-MAZE-N pellet tube or tray to stay within your budget.

Just because they sell chunks, doesn't mean they work in all smokers. Try splitting chunks down into finger wide splits, or even using pellets in the mix to see how those work.

Just because they sell chunks, doesn't mean they work in all smokers. Try splitting chunks down into finger wide splits, or even using pellets in the mix to see how those work.

True. However, both the Smokin_It and SmokinTex smokers are designed to use chunks. I think some sellers were just pulling the OP's leg.
In my electric, chunks are definitely a no-go. I tried it, so the manual was correct.

True. However, both the Smokin_It and SmokinTex smokers are designed to use chunks. I think some sellers were just pulling the OP's leg.
In my electric, chunks are definitely a no-go. I tried it, so the manual was correct.
Oh, sorry.... when I said 'they' sell chunks I didn't mean the smoker manufacturer, I just meant 'the folks' selling flavor wood sell chunks that are convenient for them. I like flavor wood that's convenient for me. All that said, sometimes the chunks I buy are perfect, or maybe they need to be down-sized for the cooker I'm using. Here is a good example. Quality wood, but different sizes.
8nu3G32.jpg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I am going to call Smokin Tex and talk to them -- it looks excellent, but with only three racks I'd have to buy two more. It has a capacity of 5. There are so many big box models near me already assembled for fairly cheap, I was hoping to go that route, at least temporarily, and I could wait for a better-quality model to come up used. I think I had a Masterbuilt digital that used chunks but it stopped working. If I don't buy it new and then assemble it I won't mind if it only works temporarily. Chips are a pain, and I like a heavy smoke! I do agree the chunks have to be cut sometimes. Appreciate all the advice.

OK, I am getting resigned to the idea that I have to spend the money for a Smokin It or a Smokin Tex, as suggested.

What is the opinion on which is better to buy, if I'm choosing? Also, is digital worth the extra money? What are the main differences between?

I am concerned with capacity, number of racks (I mostly smoke small stuff like salmon, but a lot of it), and ease of adding wood chunks. It looks like the door has to be opened to add more wood.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Both the Tex and the smokin it are good units . I never used one , but researched them . I don't believe adding wood is needed if you start with the suggested amount .
I burn wood chunks in my MES 30 for smoking at higher temps .
For sausage I use a smoke tube and the mailbox . Lower temp stuff .
I have mine modded and fine tuned to keep a constant temp at the element , which allows chunks to completely burn .

Oh, sorry.... when I said 'they' sell chunks I didn't mean the smoker manufacturer, I just meant 'the folks' selling flavor wood sell chunks that are convenient for them. I like flavor wood that's convenient for me. All that said, sometimes the chunks I buy are perfect, or maybe they need to be down-sized for the cooker I'm using. Here is a good example. Quality wood, but different sizes.
View attachment 632556

I hear you there. I don't think I ever bought a bag of chunks that included uniform sized chunks. A little hatchet work takes care of that.

OK, I am getting resigned to the idea that I have to spend the money for a Smokin It or a Smokin Tex, as suggested.

What is the opinion on which is better to buy, if I'm choosing? Also, is digital worth the extra money? What are the main differences between?

I am concerned with capacity, number of racks (I mostly smoke small stuff like salmon, but a lot of it), and ease of adding wood chunks. It looks like the door has to be opened to add more wood.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If it were me, I would go for one of the PID Smokin_It models mainly for the precise temp control and the ability to program temp profiles to be used during the smoke. With analog models, the element cycles on and off which causes wide temp swings.
Either brand of smoker requires only a small amount of wood at the beginning of the smoke due to their efficiency.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky