Using an A-maze-n tube?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
Anyone using a tube or tray rather than or in addition to mixing chunks in with charcoal? Thinking I could get a more consistent and lighter smoke flavoring, but wonder about placement.
On top of deflector? Would have to arrange product so it doesn’t drip onto it. On grate adjacent to product? Assume still need over deflector so doesn’t get too hot and ignite.
Thoughts?

Asking about using it on my BGE (L)

yeah, concerned about too much heat and would ignite it all. Maybe on the grate near the meat? Theoretically only 225-300 depending on the items.

Years ago I asked Todd if he thought about a curved tube but never heard back. I have the original round 12" tube and tray but not much grate space. May have to get a 6" tube.

I have a tray (that takes up too much space on this) and a 12”oval tube. Will need to use the latter, but has to be positioned over the deflector... afraid off to the edge exposes to direct heat once the charcoal burn spreads out that far and would have a fire on my hands. Of course, that means less room over deflector for the meat, and don’t want that over the direct heat either.

Perhaps limited to just mixing in with the charcoal, Short cooks so don’t need as much fuel out at the periphery, or very limited amount of meat on the grate.

Sigh ...

I have a tray (that takes up too much space on this) and a 12”oval tube. Will need to use the latter, but has to be positioned over the deflector... afraid off to the edge exposes to direct heat once the charcoal burn spreads out that far and would have a fire on my hands. Of course, that means less room over deflector for the meat, and don’t want that over the direct heat either.

Perhaps limited to just mixing in with the charcoal, Short cooks so don’t need as much fuel out at the periphery, or very limited amount of meat on the grate.

Sigh ...
I season and cold smoke burgers 2 hours, (chops and steaks 2+ hours) with Amnts then grill normally for short cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky