unusual cook coming up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
a few days ago the wife asked me to BBQ some chicken , i looked in the freezer and realized we didn't have any "whole " chickens , but had plenty of cut up chickens i use for frying, the wife just said use some of those ...ooook i said
(i almost never smoke anything less than the "whole" chicken ) but i took out a couple breasts , thights, legs and 6-8 wings then i found out we were out of " brown" sugar that i always use to make rub with .and i wasn't driving to the
store just for brown sugar (25 miles)
so i decided to use "white" sugar to make the rub for the chicken . everything went fine and the chicken came out nicely colored , crispy and a bit sweeter than i expected ,
while we were eating a friend dropped by to chat and of course we offered them some food, but they had already eaten but took a chicken wing to munch on while we chatted , then they got another one. they soon left and all was forgotten........i thought
they came by again this afternoon and said that their family wanted to have a family gathering sometime this summer and asked if i could BBQ 20-30 lbs of those wings like i did a few days ago ? so i said sure i would do it just let me know ahead of time
i have smoked a LOT of chickens over the years but i have never smoked 20-30 lbs of wings at once !!!
when it happens, i have a feeling this is going to be an interesting cook haha

Last edited:
depending on if its going to be 20 lbs or 30 lbs i think i can get 20 lbs in my smoker without crowding
30 lbs will require a 2nd cook then i have to figure a way to keep the 1st batch warm while i do the 2nd batch , i still have 3 steam tables left from my BBQ business days that might work ( if it won't make them soggy)

i have a large vertical propane smoker that i think i can get 20 lbs in without crowding
20 lbs of wings is a lot of pieces !!!

the steam tables are electric and can be used wet or dry ,so what i was thinking was not to put any water in the steamtables and set the temp at 140 and leave the lid off ...i might try this with 10 or so wings just as a dry run to see what happens

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky