Unusual Brisket Cook...Sort Of

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 11, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
Started a brisket Tuesday at 3 pm with the usual plan. Smoke until around 10 pm and then in to the oven to finish for another 4-5 hours.

Well, as I noted on another thread, I am an airline pilot. A premium open time trip that was so good I couldn't pass up caused me to halt the smoking process at 8 pm. Wrapped and in to the fridge. To the airport...

Got back yesterday afternoon from the trip. Out of the fridge, in to the oven. Convection bake for 6 hours, 3 at 250° then down to 225° for the remainder. Pulled at 10:45, rested a bit then in to my warming oven.

Sliced today at 11:45 am. Here is the result. Damn tasty, slightly overdone. Pull test just doesn't quite hold up. In my defense, coming from the fridge to finish it off in the oven, I was sort of guessing at the time. Felt very good and tender when I pulled it. :emoji_blush:

Anyway, a few pics. Enjoy and thanks for reading.

IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1071.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, I meant to say as well that after only 5 hours in the smoke, I am pretty happy with the bark. I do like the additional time in the pit, however, for some more smoky flavor.

I’d say that was a successful navigation of difficulties! Looks delicious to me! Great work. I’ve been overcoming my aversion to the oven for finishing lately. I didn’t want to use the oven because of pride or foolishness, but it really is a smart move…and cheaper fuel.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I’d say that was a successful navigation of difficulties! Looks delicious to me! Great work. I’ve been overcoming my aversion to the oven for finishing lately. I didn’t want to use the oven because of pride or foolishness, but it really is a smart move…and cheaper fuel.
Thank you. Yes, I agree in a way, but it still isn't taking the easy way out like on a pellet.

Running for cover.....:emoji_laughing:

Thank you. Yes, I agree in a way, but it still isn't taking the easy way out like on a pellet.
Running for cover.....:emoji_laughing:
Oh man! Shots fired🤣 now that I have a real stick burner that doesn’t sting as much! But, I will say that the oven is easier than a pellet. I’ve never had to vacuum out the oven’s ash pot🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Displaced Texan
Oh man! Shots fired🤣 now that I have a real stick burner that doesn’t sting as much! But, I will say that the oven is easier than a pellet. I’ve never had to vacuum out the oven’s ash pot🤣
6-8 hours fire management and in the oven while I sleep.

Priceless…

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky