UMAi Hot & Smokey Soppressata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Making 5 pounds of UMAi soppressata. Adding a little extra to the mix.
1 T of each
20220325_130805.jpg

Mix the TSPX with 2 T water, set this aside and mix in last.
20220325_132819.jpg

5 pounds of fresh ground pork.
20220325_132812.jpg

Mix in the kosher salt and cure 2 in with the Sopp mix.
20220325_132816.jpg

All mixed with the dry and tspx.
20220325_134915.jpg

50mm UMAi bags. Hang to ferment at 74* for 3 days.
20220325_142802.jpg

Making 5 pounds of UMAi soppressata. Adding a little extra to the mix.
1 T of each
View attachment 627078

Mix the TSPX with 2 T water, set this aside and mix in last.
View attachment 627079

5 pounds of fresh ground pork.
View attachment 627080

Mix in the kosher salt and cure 2 in with the Sopp mix.
View attachment 627081

All mixed with the dry and tspx.
View attachment 627083

50mm UMAi bags. Hang to ferment at 74* for 3 days.
View attachment 627085
When I do Umai salami, I’ve started to change the drying a bit. Fermentation for about 36 hours at 75* then into the refer for about 3-4 days then I pull them out and hang in my basement at 60* for 24 hours to let the flavor forming bacteria wake up and work a little, then back in the refer 3-4 days then out for 1 day and so on until 40% weight loss. This brings a bit better final flavor, not to the level of a curing cabinet, but does let some of those deeper cheesy flavors appear. Just what I do.

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
When I do Umai salami, I’ve started to change the drying a bit. Fermentation for about 36 hours at 75* then into the refer for about 3-4 days then I pull them out and hang in my basement at 60* for 24 hours to let the flavor forming bacteria wake up and work a little, then back in the refer 3-4 days then out for 1 day and so on until 40% weight loss. This brings a bit better final flavor, not to the level of a curing cabinet, but does let some of those deeper cheesy flavors appear. Just what I do.
I dont know when i will get another chamber built, i got so much going right now.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I dont know when i will get another chamber built, i got so much going right now.
You may try my method of rotating the sausage in and out of refrigeration. I think it does help the flavor. It’s a little more maintenance than a chamber, but it helps a lot on final product, especially helping to break down the nitrate in cure #2 (bacteria driven)

Reactions: indaswamp
With TSPX, most of the heavy lifting from the Staph. xylosus is done at the beginning. They are not as hearty as the Carnosus strain which can handle lower Aw and still perform. So if I were to follow your strategy, with TSPX, I'd do so a lot at the beginning...first 2 weeks or so....

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky