UDS from salvage parts- Finished! New pics.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rugsrme

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Marshall, MO
I couldn't help it, I have been fighting with this little grill pro (ECB like) piece of junk and have been reading up on UDS builds you all have done.

So here is what I am using:

Drum....neighbor gave it to me

Old Uni-flame grill a guy at a flea market had in his scrap pile for the lid and grates.

I also got this old fan thing with the expanded metal to make my coal basket.

I spent $25 at Orshelns (farm store here in MO) on the ball valve, nipples, caps, nuts, bolts, washers and some re-bar wire.

I have a thermometer I bought to replace the original in my grill pro so I will install it on this unit.

The couple of questions I have are:

The lid has hinges on it and I want to try to use them, I haven't noticed that any of you have attached lids on your UDS but I thought I would try to leave them and try it.

The lid has a couple of small 1/4" holes I don't want, what would be the most effective way to fill or plug them, I plan on prettying this thing up with some paint and a Den. Broncos theme so I don't want to just put bolts in the holes.

I burned it out with a pallet, the drum had almond oil in it and had nearly clean inside except for some rust and gunk in the bottom. It burned the paint black and to a gray color on the outside, I think it is good to go with one burnout.

Tomorrow I'm going to take it to a car wash and wash the inside out really well with soap and rinse well, assemble the parts and bolts for the racks and if I have time get it seasoned by tomorrow evening.  Do I need to wire wheel brush the inside if it was just plain steel, no liner or anything to deal with. I will brush off any flaky stuff inside where there was some rust spots.

On the outside, the paint like I said, burned black then turned gray, will this come off with the car wash or will I need to wire wheel the outside for new paint.

That's enough long-windedness for today, any suggestions before I get after it tomorrow are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Q

56bbc556_IMAG0091.jpg

Burnout going!

5da1a8af_IMAG0092.jpg

That black turned to a gray a little lighter than the original gray paint.

Thanks, that paint link answered a few questions I was going to post.

1. Pain type

2. Are those decals on the sports themed ones and

3. I noticed that some UDS have doors and some don't, I think I will try and fabricate a door for mine too.

One other question, how tight does the lid have to be? If I have the lower intakes under control, will a loose fitting lid be OK?  I have it snug, but there may be some gaps from my grinding job.  Should I smooth in a bead of RTV  to help it seat a little tighter? Or should I see how it operates and worry about it if it seems to be a problem?

PS I read your wiki and will be using that for my rack layout
wink.gif

Last edited:
If your drum has a removable lid I would just go with that, after all how many have you seen leak proof. Mine whisps a little smoke around the edges, I have smokes stacks also. Here's mine in action  as far as TBS.
I had to cut the lid out and I'm using the lid from the kettle grill.  I did have to make the lid fit.  I tried to grind the edge of the lip of the barrel and wound up grinding through to the seam and it came right off just as if I would have cut the lid off under the lip so I smoothed out the top edge as well as I could, I can still try to even it out after I season it if it leaks too bad.

TBS, that is one thing I had been doing waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy wrong
eek.gif
  I always had thick white smoke barreling out of my little grill pro and the smoke has been way too much on my first few smokes and didn't know why. I'ma learnin' though!

By the way we moved out here from Henderson 8 years ago.

Yes i think we all learn that too much smoke is a bad thing, it doesn't take tons of smoke and the uds really wont need much wood in it to smoke your meats, like meateater said you will love how easy your uds is after using the one you have been, just try to have it sealed well as far as if you put a door and make sure the lid fits good or you will struggle a little more keeping temps and being efficient. I think one of that main things that make a uds work so great is because its a sealed drum and you can see the smoke exhaust change with just a little turn of the valve, its like a vacuum taking air in to feed the fire.

Last edited:
Here's some pictures of it so far, I plan on seasoning it tomorrow. I have the inside wiped down with cooking oil and the fire starts when I get home from work.

If I have time I'm going to actually going to try smoking something on it.

I still have to attach the hinges on the lid to the drum but all is ready to use.

60fb6c32_IMAG0094.jpg

603f8c1a_IMAG0095.jpg

1d2ffbdd_IMAG0093.jpg

Probably a total of $50 in hardware and grill grates, otherwise the rest was free junk or I already had it like the thermometer and the paint.

I hope it works out, I should, I used all yer all's idears. Thanks folks.

Q

Reactions: meateater
Here's some pictures of it so far, I plan on seasoning it tomorrow. I have the inside wiped down with cooking oil and the fire starts when I get home from work.

If I have time I'm going to actually going to try smoking something on it.

I still have to attach the hinges on the lid to the drum but all is ready to use.

60fb6c32_IMAG0094.jpg

603f8c1a_IMAG0095.jpg

1d2ffbdd_IMAG0093.jpg

Probably a total of $50 in hardware and grill grates, otherwise the rest was free junk or I already had it like the thermometer and the paint.

I hope it works out, I should, I used all yer all's idears. Thanks folks.

Q
Wow, thats a great job on that smoker!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 I'm glad I could help you out. Now you just need to give us some pics of some smoked goodness so we can drool. From the looks of your place I say you made a smart move. I hope to do the same someday.

You did a great job on that smoker!!! Nice job and when you season it use that time to get familiar with adjusting temps and all so youll be ready to put the good stuff on it.

You did an incredible job on savings ($) and purttin up that drum!!!  Good luck with your maiden voyage and don't panic, it may take a burn or two to get comfortable controlling your temps but you're going to love that drum!

Was just looking back at your pictures to see if you installed a door on the side and noticed it looks like the inside of the drum is painted?  It may just be from reflection?  

Was just the reflection I couldn't tell and just thought I'd ask. 

Some run them with a door, I've just not had a need for one.  My longest smoke so far in the uds was 18 hours before shutting it down and it still had a good half a basket of coals in it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky