two questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dawna

Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Indiana
I bought a turkey with a done-button. Will it pop in the smoker, and can I use it to determine when it is done? (Yes, I have a probe, but I'm curious.

and... should I be soaking my fruitwood chips before using them? The mesquite is in chunks, and I am okay with putting them on the rock (electric smoker), but the bag of cherry wood says to put a handful or two of dry chips in foil, seal, and punch a number of holes.

okay, three questions... some gut said I could put the cherry-chips in the water-pan. Didn't make any sense to me, cause you may get some flavor from the steam, but then I'm not really smokin.... right?

I have my very first ever chunk of meat in the smoker... a lovely hunk of salmon. Wish me luck!

Dawna,
When your turkey reaches the proper internal temperature the button will pop (although I have had buttons that never did), but I would still use your probe-it will certainly be more accurate. Throw the mesquite on the stone and the chips too! Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t bother putting chips in water, it wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be that noticeable. Good luck with that salmon!
wink.gif

AWww, MAN, I rock! My salmon took about 2 hours 45 minutes, and it is really good! My first meal. Hubby is quite pleased, and the old cat, who is comatose most of the time is wide awake and telling me he wants a taste! Too bad.... too good for kitties! Thanks for all the help!!

[/quote]

Pull the done button and throw it in the trash. That is all they are good for.

Or sell it on ebay.
[/quote]

LOL!! How do you REALLY feel about it, Smoke Blower?

Buzzard, I posted pics on the Newbie page... look for my intro post and it is in there. I didn't get the pic of the ribs I did... they disappeared too fast after taking them off the grill! Even the picky 7-yo went ga-ga over those. I'm still smilin' when I see the picture of my chicken. It was really good! I have a turkey breast brining tonight and plan to put it in the smoker tomorrow. I'll let ya know how that turns out, too! Hope it does as well as the chicken did! That made for some good eating!

I have been told that my posts are really Smokin'... Or was that my posts really blow...? :lol:

I'm sure you too will be a "Smoke Blower". Hopefully, I'll be promoted soon.
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky