Two Pigs in Blankets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks, will try the market. Not in the tropics, no banana plants that I know of local.
Ranch 99 has them frozen so does Las Montañas Mexican supermarket in Park-N- Shop Concord Ca.
The lady that lives next door to me has a huge banana tree, I tried wrapping tamales in the leafs but I personally don't care for the taste they give off on the masa or meat, it's not for me.

I'll take a sampler plate to go. Exquisite Job.

Chris
point for sure

Can't wait to see tx pick up the gauntlet chili has dropped.

Well now, that looks like some real fine eats!!!
The Kalua Pork sounds like it would be my choice.
Looks like I'll be wandering around the northern foothills for a while--looking for a banana plant. LOL.
Definitely a POINT for this one John.
Gary
Thank you Gary,
yeah the Kalua pork was the winner by far.
Ponzu rocks. We should be using it more in western BBQ...
Not only Ponzu, but Soy, Mirin and Fish sauces too.
I'll take a sampler plate to go. Exquisite Job.

Chris
point for sure

Can't wait to see tx pick up the gauntlet chili has dropped.
Thanks Chris, appreciate it.

Oh no, it was @tx smoker who dropped the gauntlet :emoji_wink: by firing the opening food salvo.

Cant believe I overlooked this. Looks great big LIKE from my view! Would love to try this out sometime
Thanks man, do it.
Looks wonderful. You do inspire us! Big like!
Appreciate it David, thank you very much. That inspiration is mutual, very much so.

The Pibil Problem
So... I ended up burning the sauce that was supposed to go in with the Puerco pibil.
Bummer, the sauce it stews/braises in is what makes it.

Anyways, the plan was to open the banana packet, pour the sauce in and let it finish cooking for about the last hour or so.
It didn't happen, and I threw together a fruity/spicy pineapple salsa with plenty of achiote and chile powder and added it after the cook.
It had a good kick to it, but perhaps it needed more, some Habanero perhaps.
Okay, so with further recipe inquiries I'm going to try the Puerco Pibil again soon.
This time without needing to cook a sauce, just blend the major ingredients and the sauce can cook in with the pork.
For this I'm gonna need to find bigger banana leaves to create a water tight cooking pot once wrapped, or perhaps set it in a CI skillet or dutch oven when I add the sauce.

The Pibil had much more banana leaf flavor then the Kalua, this due to the much heavier flavors of the pineapple and ginger.
I like the banana leaf flavor, it is unusual and exotic and yes it takes a little getting used to.
I've had it before in both of these dishes and in tamales.
But once the sauce is added in, that the flavor will be overpowered like in the Kalua.

So next time it'll go like this;
Boneless pork butt cut into large chunks.
Rub the pork with desired herbs/spices.
Wrap and truss in banana leaves.
Cook till about 165°.
Open top of packet, add the sauce, lard (bacon grease), herbs, onions loosely close and finish cooking till fork tender.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Great cook.:emoji_thumbsup:Sorry to hear about the Pibil sauce.
upload_2019-7-3_22-4-18.png

John I am so sorry I missed this one and probably a bunch more Big LIKES
Richie
running late today

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky