Two 10-pound batches of venison/pork (50/50) summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Over the past holiday weekend, I decided to make a mess of venison/pork (50/50) summer sausage. I made two types, 10 pounds of jalapeno-cheddar and 10 pounds of garlic-chipotle-cheddar. I picked up the garlic-chipotle flavor pack at the Wurst House in Hermann, MO…a great place to visit if you are nearby.

I used dried jalapenos for the first time. The dosage rate I used was 0.5 ounces for 10 pounds of meat. The jalapeno flavor was good and it was mildly spicy. Since I like spicier, I plan to use more in my next batch…probably 0.75 oz./10 pounds. FWIW - I placed the dried jalapenos directly into the meat and let the moisture from the meat and the added water hydrate them.

Here are the pics…

Partially frozen and ready for the LEM #8 Big Bite grinder. I love my new grinder. It is quiet as
a can-opener and ran this 10 pound batch through in about 3 or 4 minutes.
IMG_9192.jpg

I went with 3-inch casings as I was wanting to make lunch-meat. That is a Hakka stuffer that
"theoretically" handle 7 pounds of meat at a time, but in reality, max 5 (+/-) pounds works better.
IMG_9206.jpg

This seasoning was really good...but I preferred the jalapeno-cheddar summer sausage better.
IMG_9178.jpg

Test patties are one of my favorite steps when making summer sausage.
IMG_9197.jpg

I did 10 pounds at a time in my MES 40. In the past, when doing a 20 pound batch, condensation
buildup became an issue. 10 pounds worked beautifully.
IMG_9198.jpg

Rested for a couple of days in the fridge...and now ready for packaging.
IMG_9200.jpg

Garlic-Chipotle-Cheddar (7%) on the left and Jalapeno-Cheddar (6%) on the right.
IMG_9201.jpg

Close-up jalapeno-cheddar.
IMG_9204.jpg

Ready to eat and for the deep freeze.
IMG_9205.jpg

Nice work. Looks great.
Condensate buildup/moisture- had a similar issue with a Cookshack SM160 while trying to dry sausage. Resolved by opening door to dump moisture then continuing the drying process. Worked but had to repeat several times.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Looks tasty. Did you add ECA?
I did not...but I wish I would have on the Garlic-Chipotle summer sausage as I think it would have helped kick the flavor profile up a bit more.

The jalapeno-cheddar is awesome without it.

Looks delicious! I have never made my Summer Sausage, but we had a terrible experience with our processor this past year so I am going to do it myself this time. What temperature did you smoke your product, and for how long?
Thanks in advance

Great job Eddie! You are getting better and better at this! I like to soak the dried jalapenos in apple cider vinegar...It'll give you a slight tang like if you had used pickled jalapenos.

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky