Tuscan Soup and Garlic Parmesan Biscuits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I am going to park this in sausage since the soup is sausage based. Not sure if this is the right forum or now :)

I have had some kind of bug for the last couple of days and feel like crud. I am convinced that soup would make it all better so I started to scrounge around for ingredients. Had close to everything for Tuscan soup and decided I would make a variation of the low carb cheddar biscuits I made last week. This week it will be garlic parmesan biscuits. The soup would normally call for kale instead of spinach but i didn't have any and didn't feel like going out.

First up are the ingredients for the soup. I finally found something I could use up at least one jar of the clearance sun dried tomatoes I had gotten at Kroger awhile back.
  • 1 lbs. of Italian Sausage
  • 1 Large Onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 cup sun dried tomatoes
  • 6 cups of chicken broth
  • A small bag of fresh spinach
  • 2/3 cup of heavy cream
  • Parmesan and parsley for garnish
  • 12 oz. sliced mushrooms
soup ingredients .jpg

First step is to just brown the sausage , drain an excess grease then add the onions , shrooms and oregano. Saute until the onions are translucent. I am going to be using an Instant Pot for this and some people saute right in it, I prefer to do mine separately in a skillet.
addomg shrooms and onions.jpg

I rough chopped the spinach, and sun dried tomatoes. Add all the ingredients to the instant pot with the exception of the heavy cream. I forgot the broth and snapped the pic prior to adding it :)
ingredients into pot .jpg

Set the Instant Pot for 5 minutes manual and do a quick release at the end. Really just pressure cooking this to marry the flavors. Cook to long and the spinach and mushrooms would disappear.
instant pot.jpg

Once pressure is released I added the heavy cream and stirred it in to create a nice creamy soup. Next time I may add in some cream cheese for a bit thicker soup.
soup finished 2.jpg

With the soup done its time to make the biscuits. I am winging it adapting from a cheddar biscuit recipe I used last week that was awesome.

Low Carb Garlic Parmesan Biscuits
  • 4 large Eggs
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking powder
  • 1 cup Shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Minced Garlic to taste
  • Parmesan to dust the tops
biscuit ingredients.jpg

Whip the 4 eggs by hand and add in the melted butter. I mix the dry ingredients together first to get better distribution of the smaller amount items. Mix in the cheese then the dry. Work with a spatula and finally by hand until it comes together into a nice dough. This pic is before I finished working it by hand.
dough.jpg

I used a 3 oz cookie scooper to make nice even biscuits and pressed them out a little by hand. I dusted the top with oregano and parmesan. Next time I will use some garlic salt too.
biscuits ready for oven.jpg

Bake for 15 minutes at 400F. Here they are fresh out of the oven.
garlic parm biscuits finished.jpg

Finally time to put it all together. Here it is plated with a little garnish of fresh basil leaf and tomato pesto.
plated 1.jpg

I have actually never made this soup before. It is a big time keeper!! We will be having it far more often. The keto biscuits came out fantastic. I am a garlic lover though and will definitely hit the top with garlic salt next time.

Well thanks for looking!! Time for me to have another bowl!

Looks great! Thats a fine looking soup. Love everything in it. Might have to give that a go . I know the wife would love it! Hope you get to feeling better! Soup will usually do the trick.

Reactions: jcam222
I've been a little under the weather also and that soup looks real tempting Jeff.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks delicious, nice work. Flavour choice is right up my alley, I will do this soup in our winter for sure, bookmarked, such great instructions I reckon I could pull this off.

Awesome looking soup AND biscuits!!! I will surely be making these soon.

That soup looks awesome Jeff! I'm going to try this sometime using the Instant Pot.

Very nice! hope you feel better soon.

I've made soups like that before, your looks excellent. I think I will make those biscuits for supper bowl Sunday, they look really good also

Thanks Ed
Try these breadsticks. Love the biscuits and make them in various forms a lot. These breadsticks are off the hook good! Just make sure to use aluminum free baking powder. If you don’t have it you can make yiur own out of baking soda and cream of tartar.

Next time I may add in some cream cheese for a bit thicker soup.
I'm making this today and that clam chowder next. Last time I made this I used Beef Gelatin Powder to thicken. No carb and works good. I also use Glucomannan which works good to. I not a fan of xanthan gum. It the texture.

I finally got the low carb ball rolling again. Man it hard to get back on the wagon!

Reactions: bauchjw
I'm making this today and that clam chowder next. Last time I made this I used Beef Gelatin Powder to thicken. No carb and works good. I also use Glucomannan which works good to. I not a fan of xanthan gum. It the texture.

I finally got the low carb ball rolling again. Man it hard to get back on the wagon!
Glad to see you back on track! I have been using some glucomannan lately as well. I do still use xanthan but sparingly. If you go overboard the slimy mouthfeel is a real issue.
Just now seeing this.. those biscuits look amazing AF!
They are really good. Give them a shot. I’ve posted them here in other meals with cheddar / jalapeño and cheddar / bacon too. Very versatile dough.
B2F20D5B-0054-4F6E-9654-ED03A1AB4655.png
47FD3D75-94A8-4238-A96E-546CA7E7975A.png

Glad to see you back on track! I have been using some glucomannan lately as well. I do still use xanthan but sparingly. If you go overboard the slimy mouthfeel is a real issue.

They are really good. Give them a shot. I’ve posted them here in other meals with cheddar / jalapeño and cheddar / bacon too. Very versatile dough. View attachment 651116View attachment 651117

Dang!!

I had missed this one before, looks pretty incredible! My favorite time of year with hearty soups! Can’t wait to give it a go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky