Turning an MES 40 into a dehydrator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maplenut

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
Ok here is my idea.
Do you think it is possible to make an add on to my MES 40 to make it a better dehydrator?
My idea is to use one of those muffin fans that are about 4" square, similar to the ones used on computer power supplies. It would be mounted to the clip loader opening.

I like to add smoke to my jerky but I find that I only like to add a little smoke, something like and hour or 2. My thought is that once I was done adding smoke I could then turn the fan on and help speed up the drying.

My thinking is that the dehydrators that you buy have heaters and fans in them so how could this be any different that that.

Has anyone else done something similar to this?

Buy some liquid smoke and have fun. Years ago I made wonderful deer jerky in the oven using it!

Attachments

• jerky fan.jpg
    jerky fan.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: maplenut
Fixed the link to the fan. I really like it because it is very quiet, low speed, and plugs directly into a 120v AC outlet (no adapter needed).
AC Infinity Axial Fan 8038
It looks like you just set it on the outlet of the smoker, is that correct?
Pulling 150 degree air has not done harm to the fan? I was looking to put it on the inlet but it would be whole lot simpler to just set the fan on the outlet of the smoker, no fancy brackets or mounts needed.
I found in the misc parts bin I already have a fan so this is something I might be able to throw together today or tomorrow.

Ok, so I said what the heck build it and see how it will work on my next batch of jerky.
I am going to go the route of using a 4" pvc pipe end cap and a small 3"x3" muffin fan that I had.
I do not have the end cap yet, I will get that later today. But since I have the fan might as well get it ready for the end cap.

Ready to solder the power cord to the fan.
Pic1.jpg

DSC00112.JPG

I have the fan pulling air as I am going to mount this to a pvc end cap and set it on top of the smoker over the exhaust vent.

"AXIAL 8038, Muffin 120V AC Cooling Fan, 80mm x 80mm x 38mm, Low Speed. $17.99 ... Low
Operating Temperature‎: ‎14 to 230°F
Fan Bearings‎: ‎Dual Ball
Fan Model‎: ‎LS8038A
Speed‎: ‎2000 RPM"

I just set the fan over the top vent, but put a paper towel between fan and vent to help move moisture out that condenses on inside of PVC fitting. I adjust the vent so that with smoker will maintain a box temp of 100-120 inside after an initial heating to 150 for 3-5 min (for food safety). I keep temp low because I don't want to cook the jerky and I also use cure #1.

I wouldn't use it for anything other than jerky or cheese. And moisture doesn't seem to bother it. I run it off the smoker for a few minutes before putting it away to make sure there isn't any moisture still in it.

Picked up a 4" Sewer and Drain end cap at Home Depot this evening and threw this together.

Layout seems like it will work, now time to cut the 3" hole.
DSC00115.JPG

Fits nice.
DSC00116.JPG

Looking good.
DSC00118.JPG

There we go, I think this may work.
Pic7.jpg

I have another chunk of pork loin thawing so that I can slice it and do another batch of jerky, I want to see how this works. Hoping to speed up the time a little.

"AXIAL 8038, Muffin 120V AC Cooling Fan, 80mm x 80mm x 38mm, Low Speed. $17.99 ... Low
Operating Temperature‎: ‎14 to 230°F
Fan Bearings‎: ‎Dual Ball
Fan Model‎: ‎LS8038A
Speed‎: ‎2000 RPM"

I just set the fan over the top vent, but put a paper towel between fan and vent to help move moisture out that condenses on inside of PVC fitting. I adjust the vent so that with smoker will maintain a box temp of 100-120 inside after an initial heating to 150 for 3-5 min (for food safety). I keep temp low because I don't want to cook the jerky and I also use cure #1.

I wouldn't use it for anything other than jerky or cheese. And moisture doesn't seem to bother it. I run it off the smoker for a few minutes before putting it away to make sure there isn't any moisture still in it.
Thanks for the tips.
I figured that I would most likely have to adjust the vent a little. I was thinking that the fan may pull enough air that I may not be able to maintain the desired temp without closing the vent a little.

I mainly do jerky in my Smokin-It #3 which only has a 1 inch top vent, and I have to turn the heat up to 170 when the ambient temp is below 75.
When I use my MES to do jerky, I do close the vent some and I have to turn heat up to 200.

I have this mounted on my smoker.

fan.jpg

I wired it into a motor rated speed control. With this I can adjust the fan speed from full speed. And slow enough so you can see the blades moving with no blur.

You can get a 3" Y fittng and 3" vent pipe to attach and extend it up like a chimney and blow air in the other opening of the Y fitting upwards out the chimney for a venturi to draw air out of the smoker without ruining the fan with smoke or heat.

You can get a 3" Y fittng and 3" vent pipe to attach and extend it up like a chimney and blow air in the other opening of the Y fitting upwards out the chimney for a venturi to draw air out of the smoker without ruining the fan with smoke or heat.

That was my thought as well. Which is why I'm pushing the smoke instead of pulling it. The fan I'm using is inducing air into the mailbox mod. Instead of the vent on top of the smoker.

I have this mounted on my smoker.

View attachment 425550

I wired it into a motor rated speed control. With this I can adjust the fan speed from full speed. And slow enough so you can see the blades moving with no blur.
I do have something similar to that I use with my router when I am doing woodwork. Not sure I will need that though, The little fan that I am going to use really doesn't move much air, we will see. I will have it ready if I notice it is pulling too much air thru the smoker.

I do have something similar to that I use with my router when I am doing woodwork. Not sure I will need that though, The little fan that I am going to use really doesn't move much air, we will see. I will have it ready if I notice it is pulling too much air thru the smoker.

Funny you should mention that. That is what I made this for. But found a router table that had a speed control built in. So this gizmo sat in my project drawer for years. Until I had a nasty brain fart about making a mailbox mod after coming on board here.

1st try at using the MES for a dehydrator with my fan mod looks very promising.
I did a batch of jerky last week prior to the mod and it took about 6 hrs. Today I did another batch and I knocked off 2 1/2 hrs!
The first 2 hrs I did not use the fan as I wanted to add a little smoke flavor. After that I remove the pellet try and put the fan mod into use.
The MES had no problems maintaining the temp of the smoker. And it was not like the heating element was not on all the time either.
So I will be using this fan mod from now on when I am doing jerky or another time I need to lower the moisture while adding heat.

Thanks everyone that gave me helpful tips.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky