Turkey Jerky in the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dstickel

Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Fenton, Michigan
I've got an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain and I'm thinking of making some turkey jerky. I have a few questions:

-Can I use both racks to hang jerky from? Or just the top rack?

-Will I be able to do the entire thing in the smoker or will I need to use a dehydrator?

-What's a good indicator for when it's done? Most things we cook to a temp but I don't think that applies as much for jerky. Do I dare give it a taste test after 5 or 6 hours? Is that too long?

Thanks in advance!

Weber now makes a hanging rack so you can hang from it and the top grate. The 18-inch one is Weber # 7472. Not sure I'd use the bottom grate unless you lay it flat on the grate. I just don't think there's enough hangin room between the bottom grate and the water pan.

I've made jerky in the WSM and it turns out pretty good. There's a recipe for beef jerky in the Weber Smoke cookbook but the technique should easily transfer to turkey. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121894/peppery-beef-jerky/0_100

A lot of folks use a bend test for doneness. I think mine took 5 to 6 hours at 175*F. Be advised that the process in the Weber Smoke cookbook comes with a warning about how the USDA recommends drying meat.

HTH

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky