Turkey Breast Roast on the Rec Tec

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Well after seeing Bearcarver Bearcarver post his turkey roast I knew one of the two in the freezer where gonna get done soon. So no time like the present I always say.

This time I am trying a new rub and no bacon so we will see how it goes.

Again on the Rec Tec @225-240 for 5-6 hours and spray with apple juice to keep the outside moist. And using Competition blend Lumber Jack pellets

The new Rub was a gift and looks homemade. It is call Coppers BBQ Dry Rub:
1/4 cup dark chili powder
1/4 cup smoked paprika
1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 granulated garlic
1/8 cup coarse ground pepper
1/8 kosher salt
1/4 brown sugar
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Added some rosemary to the top side per the bosses request.

IMG_20200325_104801985.jpg

Okay, 1 1/2 hrs in...and started spraying it with apple juice
IMG_20200325_132631598_HDR.jpg

now an hour later we are at IT of 144 degrees.

IMG_20200325_165649865.jpg

Pulled it at 160 degree IT and plated it.

IMG_20200325_182148118.jpg

Here is the money shot!

You can't see the smoke ring but it is 1/4 inch all the way around. This was an all white meat roast (Sue does not like dark meat) and was very tender and tasty.

Thanks for lookin'

Stay Home and Stay Safe Everyone. :emoji_thumbsup:

John

Last edited:
Rub sounds good. Just bought 2 turkey breasts last week when I had the chance. Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Yep, got the misters and the waterfall going just chillin'.

John

Yep! It got a little warmish even for down here around noon.
Thought I might have to break out one of the evap coolers for the patio. LOL!
Tomorrow, we'll probaby have one of the kerosene heaters running on the patio!

Reactions: Blues1
Yep! It got a little warmish even for down here around noon.
Thought I might have to break out one of the evap coolers for the patio. LOL!
Tomorrow, we'll probaby have one of the kerosene heaters running on the patio!
Yea, front coming in tomorrow, with a 14 degree drop by friday. That's OK I need to wash and wax the RV and boat so the cooler temps are a god send.

Speaking of cooler temps got a turkey kielbasa chili queued up for Friday. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Yea, front coming in tomorrow, with a 14 degree drop by friday. That's OK I need to wash and wax the RV and boat so the cooler temps are a god send.

Speaking of cooler temps got a turkey kielbasa chili queued up for Friday. :emoji_laughing:

Friday will be a good day for all of that.
I am hoping I have enough TT left by Friday for sammies. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Well John, the IT on my TT is at 133. So, I am out. I'll swing back in later to see the final results on your turkey roast.
I'm betting it will be delicious.

Well gee whiz, I guess there will be some money shots in the morning. It was a beautiful day in Gilbert, first time this year I wore shorts all day. In another week we'll really start heating up. RAY

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky