tuning plates - options.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nopantsdan

Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
I have a pretty good size side box smoker, that takes a lot of heat/fuel to get the smoking chamber up to temperature.  This tends to create a very very hotspot immediately adjacent to the fire box.  I have tried to read a lot about tuning plates, but don't necessarily have access to many raw materials to create steel plates.  I went to lowes and looked at patio stones.  They look like they are made from concrete and formed.  Thought I would buy a few at $2 a piece and see if they fit.  They fit quite well in the smoker.  Question is, before I start cooking on it, would these be harmful in anyway as they get heated up?

First picture, from the fire box, looking into the smoking chamber...

Looking into the cooking chamber...

Last edited:
concrete want take the heat. this is the problem that i'm have with mine i was going to try to build a metal tray and fill with sand and put a lid on it or fire brick but will still need support to hold them

concrete will blow into pieces!    there are air bubbles in formed concrete, these expand and blow up at you. it would be better to try some other heat sink idea for your cooker

Water in the concrete will expand and probably crack, rather than explode, the concrete. In addition, the concrete will absorb a lot of the heat from the fire box and will limit cooking temps and cause you to use more fuel. Most people will use a cookie sheet as a baffle at the fire box outlet. I personally use the hot spot to my advantage and cook wings and sausage there. Chicken or turkey get placed in the middle third and ribs on the third farthest away from the fire. Cooks like a charm. YMMV.

Dan, morning.... Sounds like the problem is air flow through the smoker...  Take a picture of the firebox and air inlets...  A good mod to the firebox is to add an additional air inlet above the fire grate... That allows for additional air to move the heat through the cook chamber to heat it without adding air to the fire, which would increase the heat in the firebox...  It is fairly simple to do, and folks that have done that mod, comment on how much faster the CC heats up... How much easier it is to control the CC temp... and how much less wood they use during a cook..... 

All this depends on the exhaust and whether or not it is large enough and was designed properly when the smoker was built.....

Dave

Last edited:
Dan, morning.... Sounds like the problem is air flow through the smoker...  Take a picture of the firebox and air inlets...  A good mod to the firebox is to add an additional air inlet above the fire grate... That allows for additional air to move the heat through the cook chamber to heat it without adding air to the fire, which would increase the heat in the firebox...  It is fairly simple to do, and folks that have done that mod, comment on how much faster the CC heats up... How much easier it is to control the CC temp... and how much less wood they use during a cook..... 

All this depends on the exhaust and whether or not it is large enough and was designed properly when the smoker was built.....

Dave
some pics to take a look at.  makes sense.  not sure if it applies to my smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky