Trying to decide on which pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmdodt

Original poster
Apr 9, 2014
Hey All -

Having some trouble deciding which pellet grill to invest in. I currently had a masterbuilt full electric vertical smoker as my first and only smoker. Doesnt really produce smoke really. Feels like more of an oven. I do have a Weber spirit 3 burner propane grill (for context). I want to upgrade the smoker and the pellet grills have sparked my interest for their ease. I have done some basic research and know how they work and the major "players in the market" but there are so many "players" and those players each have a bunch of choices. Anyone have suggestions? I dont really want to bust the bank on a grill. looking for something in the 300-500 range if possible. I dont really want something that will break (electronically) or rust out in 2-3 years..I do think the option to sear is pretty cool (only on select grills). Things like meat probes, side shelves, and wifi and such arent deal breakers for me. I just want the auger and igniter to work for a while, maintain temps, no rust, decent grates, a decent warranty, a decent size hopper, an easy way to clean ashes is favorable

I've looked briefly at pitboss, traeger, camp chef, green mountain, zgrill, grilla grill, rectec.

Pitboss seems like the retail friendly brand. Ton of options, a lot of exclusives at different stores. Reputation is so so but its very budget friendly

Zgrills seems on par with pitboss

Traegar has an iconic name like Weber but maybe lacks some innovation. Also more costly.

camp chef has seemingly a lot of support and while more expensive, they arent absurdly priced.

Green mountain is decently priced depending on the model but doesnt seem as popular.

Grilla grills...dont know much about them but people seem to like the silverbac.

Rectec, good but expensive

Appreciate any thoughts you have..and if you could be specific with the manufacturer AND model I'd appreciate it!! :)

Reactions: orionrid
Pellet grills blow a lot of smoke but the smoke doesn't leave much flavor, in my opinion, they are glorifided convection ovens.

Reactions: Hawging It
Not to try to talk you out of the pellet grill but have you thought about an Amazen Smoker for the MES you'll find lots of threads about them and an MES around here with some great results.
That being said I'm also looking at pellet grills and think I've decided on a Pit Boss because I have a couple friends that have and like them and as you said they don't break the bank. This will be my first pellet pooper as well. I'm trying to decide between the Austin XL 1000 that has the flame broiler option and the Series 5. I don't see where you live I'm in Florida where it's very humid most of the time and both of these models have the pellet purge option which is important for me. My neighbor has the Series 5 and left pellets in it for several weeks or a month while not using it and the pellets absorbed moisture and swelled it took a while to take it apart so we could get the pellets out so the auger could work.
Good luck with your decision let us know what you choose and how it does for you.

Not to try to talk you out of the pellet grill but have you thought about an Amazen Smoker for the MES you'll find lots of threads about them and an MES around here with some great results.
That being said I'm also looking at pellet grills and think I've decided on a Pit Boss because I have a couple friends that have and like them and as you said they don't break the bank. This will be my first pellet pooper as well. I'm trying to decide between the Austin XL 1000 that has the flame broiler option and the Series 5. I don't see where you live I'm in Florida where it's very humid most of the time and both of these models have the pellet purge option which is important for me. My neighbor has the Series 5 and left pellets in it for several weeks or a month while not using it and the pellets absorbed moisture and swelled it took a while to take it apart so we could get the pellets out so the auger could work.
Good luck with your decision let us know what you choose and how it does for you.

I did actually look at them last night - just didn't pull the trigger. I'll probably get one of the 12" tubes to try out.

As far as the pitboss. That one is appealing - I just wonder about the longevity because they seem more budget oriented and I've never heard anyone talk about how they hold up 3 years down the road. The 1 year warranty is a little concerning. If they thought it was a quality product you would think they would offer a longer warranty.

I did actually look at them last night - just didn't pull the trigger. I'll probably get one of the 12" tubes to try out.

As far as the pitboss. That one is appealing - I just wonder about the longevity because they seem more budget oriented and I've never heard anyone talk about how they hold up 3 years down the road. The 1 year warranty is a little concerning. If they thought it was a quality product you would think they would offer a longer warranty.

I just bought a PitBoss Austin XL. only one cook on it so I can't really review it however Pit Boss carries a 5 year warranty on all pellet grills bought after 9/3/18. That pushed me towards the Pit Boss. That and I found it new for $350.

Wow had no idea they have a 5 year warranty. Where did you find the Austin XL for that price?

at a walmart about 40 miles away using brickseek.com

all other stores had them at full retail.

I have a Traeger, and I'd not purchase one again - mostly not because it is substandard, but because it is a "name brand" that relies on people not knowing of other options. I also have a GMG, and it works quite well.

Considering the initial cost of the Traeger, and the PID upgrade I needed to do to make it equal to the GMG, it costs twice as much to make the Traeger perform as well, in both the cooks, as well as making it operate without problems. My wife purchased our Traeger for $600 at Costco, and I had to add the $200 PID controller to make it work as well as my $400 GMG.

I have a Traeger, and I'd not purchase one again - mostly not because it is substandard, but because it is a "name brand" that relies on people not knowing of other options. I also have a GMG, and it works quite well.

Considering the initial cost of the Traeger, and the PID upgrade I needed to do to make it equal to the GMG, it costs twice as much to make the Traeger perform as well, in both the cooks, as well as making it operate without problems. My wife purchased our Traeger for $600 at Costco, and I had to add the $200 PID controller to make it work as well as my $400 GMG.
Interesting..so is GMG the only main brand that comes with PID?

The book on my PB Astin sez 1 year and I bought it in may and when i look up online at walmart it still sez 1 year, you got something some where what shows a 5 year warranty? Thanks

The book on my PB Astin sez 1 year and I bought it in may and when i look up online at walmart it still sez 1 year, you got something some where what shows a 5 year warranty? Thanks
On PBs site it says 5 years if purchased after September 2018..so yours wouldnt qualify

Pellet grills blow a lot of smoke but the smoke doesn't leave much flavor, in my opinion, they are glorifided convection ovens.

They are many, many pro teams using pellet smokers (though admittedly high end smokers like Yoder) and winning in competitive bbq. The smoke profile is decidedly different from a stick or charcoal grill, but is there none the less and liked by many people, including bbq competition judges.

I have a MES with a mailbox mod and a Amazen Smoker in it. Recently have had some electrical issues with it (its 9 years old) and I upgraded to a GMG Daniel Boone. I've been though about 5 cooks with it and I get a lot more smoke flavor than my MES produced. I really like the size and functionality of the DB (with WiFi). I think a lot of people that complain about the smoke level with pellet grills are coming from stick burners where there is a LOT of smoke. I prefer a lighter smoke flavor and find that my DB is perfect. Its more than the MES but not over powering.

Interesting..so is GMG the only main brand that comes with PID?

No, I'd say most grills >$1000 have PID controllers. There are several under $1000 models like those made by GMG, Pellet Pro, Louisiana, and others, that also have them. There a few >$1000 like PG500/1000 that do not, although they do have advanced controllers that many folks prefer over PID.

Camp Chef and Grilla are the only two I can think of right now that DO NOT have PID on any of their models.

But you certainly don't need PID to get good temperature control and some folks feel you get better smoke output with non PID controllers.

Last edited:
No, I'd say most grills >$1000 have PID controllers. There are several under $1000 models like those made by GMG, Pellet Pro, Louisiana, and others, that also have them. There a few >$1000 like PG500/1000 that do not, although they do have advanced controllers that many folks prefer over PID.

Camp Chef and Grilla are the only two I can think of right now that DO NOT have PID on any of their models.

But you certainly don't need PID to get good temperature control and some folks feel you get better smoke output with non PID controllers.
You seem to know a bit about these things. Any thoughts on pit boss?

You seem to know a bit about these things. Any thoughts on pit boss?

I have no first hand experience with them, but plenty of forums members here do and will hopefully chime in soon. I've read mostly good reviews about them and they appear to be a good value.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky