Trying pre-sliced ribs today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masssmoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Massachusetts
One of the stores I got to regularly usually has pre-sliced spare ribs but I have always stayed away from them as they are not the traditional way you think of when you think of smoking ribs. But today they seemed the freshest and best cut of the limited selection so I decided to try them out.

Here is the picture of one of the packs after I rubbed them down.
1638731551743.png

Reactions: kruizer
Well I guess the bend test is out of the question. LOL

Seriously, I think your ribs are looking pretty good.

Chris

One of the stores I got to regularly usually has pre-sliced spare ribs but I have always stayed away from them as they are not the traditional way you think of when you think of smoking ribs. But today they seemed the freshest and best cut of the limited selection so I decided to try them out.
This is interesting. Before I bought my smoker and all I did was grill, for game day I would cut a rack or two into two bone sections so people would not have to manage cutting very much while watching the game. I'll have to remember this for next season.

did it take shorter time to cook them?

Those look really good!
I have wanted to do those with a bacon wrap, but my wife, Judy likes them just smoked.
I will have to try a few & I bet she will like them better!
Al

That is interesting. I've never seen them either. One of the kids that i used to work with talked me into slicing baby backs up into single ribs, then dusting them with a seasoned flour type of breading and deep frying them. Actually pretty darn tasty.

That is interesting. I've never seen them either. One of the kids that i used to work with talked me into slicing baby backs up into single ribs, then dusting them with a seasoned flour type of breading and deep frying them. Actually pretty darn tasty.

I had some deep fried ribs for the first time over the summer. A local restaurant was doing them at a booth at a soul food festival. They were pretty good!

Hi here is a shot of the finished product
Just to respond to a few points-
these were not country style ribs, they had the bone and were just a regular spare rib but pre-sliced.
The pre-sliced starting point just meant that the rub and sauce covered all sides of the ribs including what would normally be the sides exposed after cutting post smoke.
They were pretty meaty so I left them on my normal amount of time- about 5 hours total in my pellet smoker at 225.
They were pretty good. Not the best I have done but not bad at all!
thanks for the comments.
1638827846316.png

Looks good to me. I think Jeff did a similar recipe a while back. More smoke/seasoning flavor since the ribs are apart if I remember correctly.

An older (closed) BBQ restaurant here in town, would smoke ribs, then slice them, then dip and bread them. He called them Fribs. Never had them but locals still rave about them.

RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky