TRUE Homemade BBQ Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guido

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Powder Springs, GA
I love to cook. In addition to smoking, I do LOVE to cook. I do most of the cooking at home, and the wife loves it.
I did a nice BBQ sauce last weekend, and it was a hit. The only thing is, I felt like I cheated.
Before I ask my question, I'll say that my sauce was much, much sweeter the next day than it was the night it was made. I went for a vinegary/sweet sauce, and I was pretty surprised by that. Have you all noticed that on yours too?

Now, as I said, I felt like I cheated. After all, I used -ketchup- as a base. Sure I added a ton of other stuff, but the chef in me wanted to make a good homemade, true homemade sauce, like I do chili.

Anyone here have a recipe or good recommend for doing a homemade sauce?

I'm thinking of smoking some tomatoes and peppers and going from there.... it certainly would be a good experiment!

Guido,
I figure catsup (implying of course, Heinz Catsup) is such a basic element, why spend all that time, I mean making catsup is not exactly what I would call a culinary leap, it’s just time consuming. Spend your time on the more intricate steps in your sauce and applications you apply it to!
icon_rolleyes.gif

True on both of you. I was just thinking of a different way, perhaps a different style.

I wondered what smoked tomatoes would taste like in a sauce? Hmmm....

Guidi -

I never tried smoking a tomatoe. Sounds interesting though.

Try throwing some smoked squid in your sauce that's yummy!

I always use catsup in my sauce. The only thing I would suggest is to always use the same brand as the taste differs somewhat between brands.

go to the jack daniel's website and try makin the sauce called stillhouse bbq sauce ...I add minced onion and garlic to it ! it smells like hell cooking it ,and you'll swear you'll never put it on your baby backs ....but do try it !! man it's amazing :)
icon_idea.gif

Here is a sauce I have made many times to rave reviews...I can not take credit for this sauce as I "liberated" it from elsewhere
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

3 baking Apples, peeled, cored and diced.
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves Garlic, pureed.
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1/2 cup Water
1 1/2 cups Ketchup
3/4 cup Cider vinegar
1/4 cup Molasses
1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
1/2 cup Cane syrup
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Allspice
1/2 tsp. Black pepper, fresh ground
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. Clove, ground
1/4 cup cider vinegar, reserved.

I also add about ashot and a half of Jack Daniels

- In a sauce pan over medium heat , sautee apples, onions and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes till onions become translucient.
- Add water, reduce heat to low and simmer till apples dissolve, 20 minutes or so.
- Add remainder of ingredients and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Add remaining vinegar and incorporate.
- Place sauce in a blender and process till smooth.
- Cool sauce and refridgerate up to 2 weeks.

Also here is a site with a ton of sauce recipes:

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/...es1/index.html

Apples. I like that recipe Tonto. I'll have to try it sometimes. Regardless, I need to reserve judgment until the next day when the sauce mellows!

Thanks for the links guys. Sounds like I just needed to keep doing what I was doing, and not worry about it!

Just make sure it's Heinz ketsup!

It's not only the best but Jessie's retirement depends on it!
icon_razz.gif

Theresa -

That sauce sounds great! Are you dure you wanna be giving it away with all those competitions coming up?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky