Troubleshooting a MB 560

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
After almost two years, I've finally had trouble with my 560.

Last Friday in the middle of a cook, I hear the unit " beeping " and the display has an " error " message. I turned it off and restarted, reset my temp and it worked fine for the rest of the cook.

Yesterday I'm starting a cook and the fan won't come on. The pin on the cook chamber switch is completely missing. I cut the switch off, bared the wires, twisted them together and restarted , but again, no fan. This has me puzzled.

I just went to check the other two switches. I turned the unit on , set a temp, and the fan came on. I did not expect that.

So is my problem switch or controller ? This is worrisome cuz right now the smoker is totally unreliable.

And if I were gonna replace all switches, is it best to buy from MB or try to find them elsewhere ? I'm almost a year out of warranty. Odds are, its a common switch.

I just emailed MB last week and they did not even ask if it was in warrant and they sent me 2 new switches free. I think they know these are a weak point in the system.

I guess I probably just clicked yes and put in a date I thought I bought it from Walmart.

I registered my smoker right after I bought it. I'm gonna go with the Amazon switches cuz I can also get replacement wiring kit. Those tiny quick disconnect fittings that MB uses are hard to find.

Hey Okie I'd start with switches. I was having similar intermittent issues. The ash bin door was the one giving me fits, and it was hard to track that down. I replaced the ash bin switch, lid switch, fan, and controller, and unbelievably both the old and replacement ash bin door switch appeared to be faulty. I've essentially shorted the ash bin door switch.

If you're having weird issues it could be the controller, but switches would be the first place I'd look.

If it's set below 500, which I think yours is based on how you normally cook on it, it won't be the cook chamber lid switch (that only cuts off the fan above 500), so I'd narrow it down to hopper lid and ash bin door. Ash bin door seems to take the most abuse, as it is in the dirtiest location.

Might try hitting it real good with contact cleaner, or just shorting it entirely, and see if that resolves your issue.

Got an email reply from MB today. They're sending me one switch, no charge. But from now on, all parts are my responsibility. Said delivery time was " weeks " .

I'd already ordered 3 switches from Amazon. They will be here tomorrow. Hoping no more problems.

I agree with Mc in that definitely sounds like a switch issue. Using contact cleaner between cooks will solve most, if not all, of your problems.
Be sure to post up your results when you get them installed!

Keith

I got tired of bad switches so I just shunted all of them at once and the problems are gone.
I did need a new control panel/display/processor out of warranty last year but they sent me one free of charge (in addition to several free door switches)

Installed three new switches. Checked it before I began and the fan was working but I replaced them anyway. Took maybe 30 to 45 minutes. Not a hard job. I also bought a wiring kit and replaced the wire I cut up Sunday and that took longer than the switches.

And the fan is kicking on now. Hope this lasts.

BTW, I missed a good price on a 1050 at Amazon. Last week of October they were $460. I've been using Brickseek to search Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes. Never thought to monitor Amazon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky