Trip to Germany with "Foodview"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yodelhawk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Great Falls, Mt
Hi guys. I had the pleasure of going over to Germany for a couple of weeks to visit some family. While there I thought I would take a few pics of some of the great food that we were able to enjoy. Hope you like the "FoodView".

Shortly after arriving back in Germany I had to seek out my first "Bratwurst" of the trip. (There were several more) It's about the same as Americans returning back to the States after a long absence and seeking out their favorite hamburger.

After getting up from the Bratwurst, I walked 2 blocks and caught a great smell. A new store was celebrating their opening and had a BBQ. On the menu were "Schwenkbraten" which is a marinated pork steak. Spicy, full of flavor with lots of onions. Typically seved on a "Broetchen" or hard roll. The "Schwenk" refers to the swinging grill that is used to grill up this awsome piece of meat.

On the way back to my folk's house, I came across yet another "Grand opening" This bunch had the whole hog on a spit. The smell was out of this world and was drawing folks in from several blocks away (INCLUDING ME)

As part of the trip we stoppped by relatives in the Munich area. After a long day of driving we were greeted with a typical bavarian "Brotzeit". A variety of smoked meats, cold cuts, cheeses and veggies, served with fresh "Semeln" (a typical roll for the area). All is washed down with a couple of bottles of Weissbier.

That right there is a picture of two of my favorite things in Germany. I really enjoyed the Bitburger (maybe a little too much) when we were there visiting my wifes family. We just yesterday started planning a trip for next summer - can't wait. We love all of the meats and cheeses and breads. Thanks for posting

When in Germany... or should I say Bavaria do yourself a favor and do as the locals do. For breakfast they love to serve "Muenchner Weisswurst". A very flavorful white sausage that is served with a sweet mustard. When the plate arrived at our table I turned around to get the camara and by the time I turned back my kid had helped himself to the first one. It would have been nice to get a pic of the "clean" plate.

For those of you that have been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and the hangover, you may have been able to figure out that the last pic was taken at the Octoberfest. Other foods consumed at the largest party in the world were:

Chicken and bacon rolls

This is how they make them...

Roast Beef.... They roast the whole Beef!!!

This one's name was "Klaus" and weighed in at just under 1900lbs.

Awesome Food, WishI was there...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

After all that food and 6...count them 6 Mass (1 Mass=1 liter of bier) we made it back to the relatives house and called it an early night. The next morning we thought we had better do something for our souls and my cousin suggested a visit to the monastary of "Andechs". Great!!! Upon arival we figured out very quickly that the monastary is a destination of pilgramage but usually not for prayer.

Mass and "Bretzen" at an actual monastary. The monks still brew the beer themselves and it is without doubt some of the best in the world.

My dad is an ex-pat who settled in Germany. As a kid I remember huge cookouts with my dad grilling up a storm. I also remember hating ribs! My dad would boil them and finish them off with a little bit of cheap BBQ sauce and call it good. When he told me on this visit that he wanted some ribs, I told him that there was this piece of of paradise that was called the SMF that had taught me a thing or two. Pops, I said, let me do the ribs this time. Although I did not have a smoker I fixed a dry rub, foiled them in the oven and finished them off with a spicy peach BBQ sauce that I made myself. What was not eaten at supper my dad polished off the next morning for his own "Brunch." He also made sure that my mom knew not to let me out of the country without leaving detailed instuctions on how to make them.

On our last night in Germany we went out to very good local restaurant. Since it was going to be my last "real" German meal for a while I decided to go with the German staple: "Jaeger Schnitzel," a cutlet (in this case pork) that is breaded, pan fried and topped with a mushroom gravy. By the way, that is a full size dinner plate.

Great picts. Glad you had a good time touring the country with your stomach. Maybe we'll see your dad coming into "roll call" any day now.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Well, that's about all the pics that I wanted to show you guys. Hope you liked them and thanks to those who have already commented. PROST!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky