Tri-tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You can do anything you dream of as long as you believe in yourself.

mookie-willson-dinosaur-story-1.jpg

For the same reason(s) many cuts aren't readily available in some regions, mainly popularity.
If a cut isn't popular it doesn't sell, if it doesn't sell the butcher doesn't stock it.
There has to be a demand.

Here in South Bama there isn't a huge demand for Tri-tip, but recently enough demand has been generated to induce one of my local butchers to order it now.
Yay for me! Cause I'm a transplanted SoCal and Tex boy and love Tri-tip.

Example: Ribeye cap steak has recently become a BIG thing here, 6 months ago never saw it here.
Now the butchers either order it or cut it off the whole Prime grade rib roast before cutting steaks.
This at the expense of those of us who now are being offered smaller ribeye steaks trimmed of the cap.
I'm having to request Prime grade ribeyes without the cap removed at Costco.
They now get two high demand Prime graded cuts of steak from what was one, more profit for them.

I'm having to request Prime grade ribeyes without the cap removed at Costco.

I almost picked up some Prime Cap steaks today at Costco. They really looked nice but couldn't pull the trigger for $18+ /lb.
I did get a few packs of USDA Prime Tri-tips though - $7.99 not the lower price I've seen but not too bad.

My local Wegmans had Tri Tip reduced. Was $6.89 lb. "was just a little over 3lb"
No bargain...but I wanted one for valentimes day. I don't really find them there to often.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky