Tri Tip smoked on a grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I have not been able to smoke for a very long time. My smoker is disassembled and I can't put it together at the moment.

I bought a GMG Ledge, it is sitting on my patio, one leg cannot be attached and I am sitting here waiting for a response from GMG.

PXL_20220501_010314316.jpg
The body is bent and the bolt holes on the side do not line up. I could fix it, maybe, by bending the leg receiver, but then I chance scratching the paint off and who knows down the road. It is supposed to be new, so I want it new. Anyway.

When I bought it, I fully expected to smoke a tri tip that weekend. I could have frozen it or just grilled in on my temporary grill, so I did that.

Turned the grill on to it's lowest temp, two outside burners on as low as possible, 175*F and smoked the tri tip on the grill with a smoke tube.
PXL_20220507_020707742.jpg PXL_20220507_023037376.jpg PXL_20220507_023337648.jpg
Smoked to IT 135* on hickory. then reverse sear to 145*, I like mine more rare but this is better for the wife, and it wasn't so bad.
I found a source for Lumberjack pellets and they are so much better then the other pellets I have been using.

PXL_20220507_024308461.jpg

Cut shot, nice and juicy, tasted pretty good, would have liked more smoke flavor, but again, wife likin it leaves little to complain about.

Looks great to me as well! Most importantly your wife liked it. Hope you come out well with your Ledge.

Ryan

Reactions: Nefarious
That’s a nice looking smoke. I am having good luck with thinner cuts like TT and steaks by popping them in the freezer for a few hours before smoking and searing. It seems to give them more time to pickup the smoke.

Bummer about the new smoker, but great work carrying on with a solution! Beautiful TT! I always have to make it a little more done for the wife too, but I have to say that I think TT is a bit better med rare. Point!

Reactions: Nefarious
That’s a nice looking smoke. I am having good luck with thinner cuts like TT and steaks by popping them in the freezer for a few hours before smoking and searing. It seems to give them more time to pickup the smoke.
You are correct, I have done some when colder, I just wasn't prepared this time. I did a batch of ribs this past weekend the same way and they came out well smoked so I thought. Only problem is the ribs were smoked with cherry which the pellets are 100% cherry. The hickory is only 40% hickory. I should have added some hickory chips, but didn't have those. Just not as prepared.

They were good.

Looks darned good from where I'm sitting. Happy wife, happy life! RAY
That's the whole truth. They were good so the pain of eating them a little more done then I prefer was very small compared to the pain of an unhappy wife :)

Most importantly your wife liked it. Hope you come out well with your Ledge.

Ryan
We've been married for 35 years and I am finally figuring that out. Slow learner.

GMG support has been very responsive until the district sales manager had to be added to the solution. It might be an error but I bought the ledge in a town an hour away because the guy also sells lumberjack pellets. I want him to stay in business, he is a small business which is even better. GMG didn't even ask me to return it to the seller because they knew how far of a drive it was. I'm thankful for that.

That TT looks mighty good on my screen. I will say that TT is one cut of meat that I don't mind a little over cooked.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky