Tri-tip like a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I am going to try taking a Tri-tip to 200ish in the smokehouse today like a brisket. Anybody else has done this?

I never have but there are a few threads about people doing them like that
I've seen a few others but couldn't find them

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yep. Done it more than once. Learned about it here at SMF. Wrapped at 165F. I've done both foil and butcher paper. Prefer butcher paper. I stopped at 190-195F.

It won't probe tender, but let it rest covered for an hour or more and you'll have the juiciest brisket-flat-like beef you've ever tasted.

I posted a thread here once upon a time. Will have to look for it.

Near as I can tell, here''s the thread that started it all for smoking a tri tip like a brisket.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Us redneck Georgia boys define a Tri-tip as what you leave for a Waffle House waitress that winks at you. One day i am going to find a true Tri-tip, smoke it, and enjoy it. Good luck my firend. Let us know how you did it and how it turned out ! Please
Amen brother on the WH lol.

I've smoked it 1 time
Wrapped in paper around 160 and and pulled around 200 or so. Probe tender. It was GREAT.
Plan to do another this week. Did you find on with the fat cap on ?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I know it will work. I was just sharing and will post pics of the final. Thank you all for looking and for the response. Also thanks for the links.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky