Trager timberline 850

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texassmokes

Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Austin, Texas
Not new to smoking, but just got one of these bad boys. Looking to smoke some ribs and beer can chicken Thursday and looking for any tips. Dont think I will use the recipe feature as it wouldn't work for the 2 but wondering how to do both at the same time?

Reactions: kruizer
Well, if you are willing to sacrifice the skin, then they both can be done at low temp. Can finish the chicken alone at high temp for a short time to try to crisp up the skin a little.
If you have a multi-probe thermometer, I‘d check various spots across the grates and see if you have some hotter or cooler ... not unusual ... if significant you can set ribs in the cooler and chicken in the warmer areas.

FWIW, I’ve never experienced a tangible benefit to the beer can thing. Haven’t detected any significant improvement in moisture or flavor. I typically spatchcock chickens and turkeys if grilling/smoking to cook a bit more evenly. Or better yet part them and start at different times.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Inscrutable has you covered here. I also agree the beer does nothing for the flavor. I still use the device for BC chicken because it works perfect with a flipped Vortex in my Weber. I just drink the beer first.

Dave

• Haha
Reactions: Inscrutable
Same here. Beer can does nothing it seems. Fun to do though. I do spray my birds with beer during the cook and that definitely adds some good flavor and seems to help crisp the skin

Are you planning Baby Back or regular ribs? I don't really think you can do both at the same time and have the best results. Ribs are best low and slow and chicken is better at higher temps. I agree about the beer can being a waste of time, also a pellet grill does poultry so well you will be amazed at how it comes out without the so called beer can benefits. If you are doing BB's I would highly recommend 225º for temp and doing 4-1-1 method. I have found this is about perfect for BB's on my Timberline 1300.

Not new to smoking, but just got one of these bad boys. Looking to smoke some ribs and beer can chicken Thursday and looking for any tips. Dont think I will use the recipe feature as it wouldn't work for the 2 but wondering how to do both at the same time?

Decided to do the ribs first, almost done and looking great, going to wrap and put in cooler while I do the chicken. I know the beer doesnt really do anything but I like the cook on the chicken when I use the rack. Plus I put seasoning and herbs in the beer to help flavor the chicken

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky