Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hqly2001

Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
Im thinking about smoking my st louis ribs at 200 for 7-8 hours without wrapping. Will it dry pit my ribs? I’m trying to lock in juice while make it tender. I dont like wrapping it due to the juice loss. Figured a little longer time would make it more tender? Any thoughts?

Welcome to the site, I think you will be about 2 hours to long, wrapping does help render fat from meat , also it makes them tender and a lot of folks like to unwrap and put back on for another hour or so , there's no 1 method to please everybody, I don't wrap a lot of times unless I am in a hurry which aint often these days lol. the unwrapping and back on helps firm them back up and if saucing that's when you add that

Reactions: Hqly2001
Unwrapped with some frequent spritzing makes a nice bark and a bitier texture. When done right, unwrapped are hard to beat. I tend to wrap because I like being able to better schedule my finish window. Unwrapped can wonder around on cook times quite a bit. It really boils down to repetition and knowing what your looking for throughout the cook. Practice practice practice and enjoy the meats.

Reactions: Hqly2001
Thanks for the responses. I tried no wrap at 225 for 5-7 hours twice, both times the meat was starting to dry out. I’m thinking about going lower and slower but figured i’d ask to see if anyone has tried 180-200 for 7-8 hours. Not sure if ribs would hit 190 at those temps or if the ribs would be too dried by then as well. I use a traeger so temps will fluctuate 10-20 degrees. I like the tenderness of wrap but don’t like losing the juice from wrapping.

Thanks for the responses. I tried no wrap at 225 for 5-7 hours twice, both times the meat was starting to dry out. I’m thinking about going lower and slower but figured i’d ask to see if anyone has tried 180-200 for 7-8 hours. Not sure if ribs would hit 190 at those temps or if the ribs would be too dried by then as well. I use a traeger so temps will fluctuate 10-20 degrees. I like the tenderness of wrap but don’t like losing the juice from wrapping.

I spritz the ribs every 45 minutes after the rub sets on the meat. That helps keep them moist and gives you a bit of glazing depending on how much sugar is in the spritz.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: sawhorseray
Im thinking about smoking my st louis ribs at 200 for 7-8 hours without wrapping. Will it dry pit my ribs? I’m trying to lock in juice while make it tender. I dont like wrapping it due to the juice loss. Figured a little longer time would make it more tender? Any thoughts?
Aaron Franklin (Franklins BBQ; Austin, TX) discusses his technique in his book. He does this for a living. He always uses a water pan, cooks his pork ribs at 275*F, and ALWAYS wraps in foil at the 3 hour point. His total cooking time for pork ribs is 7 1/2 to 9 hours. Then they are rested for a least another hour before serving. Not sure how you came to a conclusion that wrapping causes juice loss. I always wrap and have never had dry ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky