Traeger timberline 850 with non Traeger pellets smoke...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Clemson Tiger ‘12

Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
I bought cookin’ Pellets to smoke a brisket and I was wondering if anyone found that their Traeger had better smoke at 250 with better pellets than Traeger brand. I want to smoke a brisket at 250 but nervous I won’t get enough smoke than if I did it at 200 with the “super smoke” setting turned on. I also bought an a-maze-n smoke tube to use as well. I’m used to Texas brisket with great smoke flavor and ring. I’m trying to get used to a pellet smoker...I’m used to old school barrels cut in half that could smoke out a small neighborhood. I know pellet smokers aren’t like that but just wanting people’s feed back with past experiences.

Reactions: yortchko
I have a Lil'Tex and have used several brands of pellets. I've not noticed any difference. However, I like to use a 6-inch Amazen and a bowl of water which appears to work well.

I do have a traeger but I’m running pit boss competition blend and I smoke a lot at 250 and get good results

I bought cookin’ Pellets to smoke a brisket and I was wondering if anyone found that their Traeger had better smoke at 250 with better pellets than Traeger brand. I want to smoke a brisket at 250 but nervous I won’t get enough smoke than if I did it at 200 with the “super smoke” setting turned on. I also bought an a-maze-n smoke tube to use as well. I’m used to Texas brisket with great smoke flavor and ring. I’m trying to get used to a pellet smoker...I’m used to old school barrels cut in half that could smoke out a small neighborhood. I know pellet smokers aren’t like that but just wanting people’s feed back with past experiences.
Definitely different brands put out more smoke, Traeger expects you to buy more pellets for more smoke! It's a marketing scheme! Ha!

Traeger pellets are wildly inconsistent. If I buy a variety of trager pellet in California, and you buy the same variety in Carolina, there is almost no chance we would have the same pellets. Traeger pellets are made regionally by a variety of manufacturers - whoever is cheapest. Some are alder based, some are oak based - even for the same variety. this is one reason you see such wildly varying reviews of their pellets. some are very good, some are not good at all. Traeger also has a history of using oils and additives in their pellets. Bottom line, you just never know what you are getting.
We mostly use lumberjacks. Very consistent.

Traeger pellets are wildly inconsistent. If I buy a variety of trager pellet in California, and you buy the same variety in Carolina, there is almost no chance we would have the same pellets. Traeger pellets are made regionally by a variety of manufacturers - whoever is cheapest. Some are alder based, some are oak based - even for the same variety. this is one reason you see such wildly varying reviews of their pellets. some are very good, some are not good at all. Traeger also has a history of using oils and additives in their pellets. Bottom line, you just never know what you are getting.
We mostly use lumberjacks. Very consistent.

I am glad to read that I am not the only one having the same experience with Traeger pellets. I just bought my Traeger about 3 weeks ago and have not been impressed with the amount of smoke...so I guessed it was the pellets.

I just placed an order for Lumberjack pellets.

Traeger pellets are wildly overpriced. They used to be alder/maple base with oil from the wood species stated on the bag. Not sure if they are still doing that. Lumberjack is on another level. 100% hickory means 100% hickory. And it makes a difference. After trying many different brands and blends, LJ 100% hickory has by far the best flavor IMO.

The best smoke is thin, blue smoke that you can barely see, not the heavy white stuff. The white stuff is bitter. Pellet smokers impart a more delicate, clean smoke flavor. It's not going to be similar to a stick burner.

The heavy white stuff is moisture,can come from pellets or meat ,that's not a good indication of how its cooking or the pellet

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky