Traeger Owners.. some interesting info I found in an old pm..... Ortech controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Amazon...
81rBb-eLSVL._AC_UY218_.jpg
Digital Thermostat Kit for Traeger Pellet Grills by Ortech
4.7 out of 5 stars 1,007
$64.95$64.95

Ortech Controls

Traeger Recipes By Mike: Ortech Digital Temperature Controller - Helpful Traeger Modifications

Temp/Smoke control interaction using Ortech TR100 controller : Traeger (reddit.com)

Reactions: indaswamp
Much cheaper than a savannah stoker. Wonder what the quality is like?

Edit. It's not pid so I answered my own question lol

I'm not sure what other brands are out there but the basic smoke daddy controller will get you that PID for 175 bills. It will make any non-PID grills really nice!

I'm not familiar with PID controllers... This Ortech has P-Setting adjustments... Isn't that a PID option ????

"I added the Ortech Digital Temperature Controller model Tr-100 because it is a good Controller at a reasonable price. It has a dial for P-Settings a feature not found in the Traeger Digital Temperature Controller. The Ortech controller automatically does a shutdown cycle whenever you turn the grill off."

I'm not familiar with PID controllers... This Ortech has P-Setting adjustments... Isn't that a PID option ????

"I added the Ortech Digital Temperature Controller model Tr-100 because it is a good Controller at a reasonable price. It has a dial for P-Settings a feature not found in the Traeger Digital Temperature Controller. The Ortech controller automatically does a shutdown cycle whenever you turn the grill off."
No the p setting adjusts the pause in the auger. Higher the p setting the more often pellets get dropped. My non pid pitboss has that

What is a PID controller? Sorry, new to this all. I have an old skool Traeger Century 22 that I've had for years. The temps are all over the place, it has rarely reached the actual set temp (regardless of weather) and mows through pellets faster than people through a Walmart door.
I wish I'd gotten a bigger grill, but it is what it is.. Hard to get rid of it, since I've had it so long (even though it's in great shape) but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.
I decided to skim the forum looking for upgrades, and ran across this thread..

What is a PID controller? Sorry, new to this all. I have an old skool Traeger Century 22 that I've had for years. The temps are all over the place, it has rarely reached the actual set temp (regardless of weather) and mows through pellets faster than people through a Walmart door.
I wish I'd gotten a bigger grill, but it is what it is.. Hard to get rid of it, since I've had it so long (even though it's in great shape) but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.
I decided to skim the forum looking for upgrades, and ran across this thread..
A pid controller allows you to change the temps in one degree increments. It uses a sort of AI to control fan and auger and makes adjustments accordingly. Most pid controllers keep your smoker at +/- 5° of set temp. You can program them to do all sorts of things.
This is a good company and they make pid controllers for treager and just about any other grill you can buy

It does what Jake noted....

In science terms it is a proportional–integral–derivative controller. IE, It is a mini computer that monitors a function and uses that input to calculate an output based on a derivative calculation....Your car's cruise control is an advanced PID control..... In a pellet grill a PID will monitor the temperature (inside the grill and some even the outside) and then based on that input it calculates the needed input of pellets and air flow to change the smoker temp to the desired set range.

Non-PID pellet controllers are a simple pre-programmed feed rate and air flow for a given desired temp with a on/off switch based on the set temp. Hence why they are all over the place.....there is no micro adjustments based on actually need, its only all the way on or all the way off. The set temp range is usually a 25 +/- because if this is set too close the it won't work right, it doesn't know what to do.....if you set it to 275, it starts at that rate and air flow from the beginning.....usually talks a while to get to temp. A PID when set from a cold temp to 275 says hey heat this baby up quick, but when it gets close it says don't go over so slow down when it gets close....

As a non PID controller option, I know folks that installed the Ortech and say it works much better than the stock Traeger controller and is reasonably priced.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky