Toxic Insulation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tgil

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Burleson, Tx
Doing a fridge conversion and never thought about this until I found this forum. I've done a search, but struck out. I found where someone mentioned units built after a certain date have the suspect type of insulation. Can anyone tell me what that date is?
I am going to be cold smoking so I don't know if it will be getting warm enough to worry about or not. This is all new to me.
Thanks in advance for your help!

When you say cold smoke what temps are you talking so we can get a better idea. If you are truly slow smoking then you should have nothing to worry about. People cold smoke in card board boxes all the time.

Not sure what year but with mine I gutted everything... My insulation was covered in plastic sealed bags.... I removed the plastic and reinstalled it also had foam in it that I removed... Also any plastic parts and molding where removed and replaced with sheat metal... I think my frige was from th 60s so its 50 years old... There was a fair amount to remove ..... I have had mine well over 300 deg in my trial runs and as far as I know the white foam and plastic are toxic when the start to melt or burn!!!!

we took the plastic trim off and replaced with aluminum trim, we took some foam from the smoker and put it on our gas grill and cranked all the burners and got up to 500 and it started to expand but there werent any noticable fumes, it should be fine for us cuz we never go over 200

I would remove all plastic an foam type insulation just ta be safe. Remember, that was engineered ta be cooled not heated. Repeated exposure ta heat could break down some forms a foam insulation an start ta release gasses.

It's a bit a work but lots easier on the brain, not worryin bout what gonna happen each time ya use the smoker. I was fortunate enough ta get an all enamel unit that didn't have the foam insulation in it. This rigs gotta be from the 40's er 50's. But bein all enamel I'd guess more in the 40's cause plastic became popular after WWII.

So, if I remove all of the foam is there anythig else that needs to go back in its place? Seems like the shell would be pretty flimsy without it?

Just came across this old thread and to answer the last question on it, I scrapped the idea and bought a conversion instead that was ready to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky