Top Sirloin Cap Steaks (Picanha)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Running low on my homegrown beef and saw a sign at Publix for "top sirloin cap steaks" at $8.50 / lb.
None on the shelves so asked the butcher. He got out a cryovac and started to slice up some steaks.
"Hey, can I get a whole one?" I ask. He replies, "you mean a picanha." Yea of course I do.
He looks on his computer. It's $11.50 per lb. Why would the whole roast cost more than the steaks?
So I said, "go ahead and slice it, for $3 less I'll take the slices."

First dry brine steaks for 2 hours

P1050688.jpeg

Start up a fire with lump charcoal and a couple of red oak logs

P1050690.jpeg

Throw in some potatoes, onions, and peppers

P1050691.jpeg

Sear the fat cap

P1050696.jpeg

Sear sides of steak, then raise grate and cook over medium heat

P1050700.jpeg

Steaks cooked for total of 30 minutes, then sliced

P1050704.jpeg

Serve with homemade chimichurri

P1050708.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

You nailed that start to finish , but that's no surprise .
That's the best way to cook a baked potato too . Nice work .

They look great! Having never done one myself, I am wondering how tender the meat is since it looks pretty lean?

That right there is utter perfection!!!!!! were to I line up to do the dishes so I can lick the plates?

The food looks great. I have yest to try one of those.
Love the pit.
If you see one in the grocery, give it a try. Won't disappoint.

Fine looking meal there. That potato looks killer!
I did both wrapped in foil and without wrapping. Wrapped were softer, unwrapped were more fluffy.

You nailed that start to finish , but that's no surprise .
That's the best way to cook a baked potato too . Nice work .
Yea, potatoes were great.

Beautiful plate!
Jim
Thanks

They look great! Having never done one myself, I am wondering how tender the meat is since it looks pretty lean?
Yes they are lean. And the meat is quite tender too. A win win.

That right there is utter perfection!!!!!! were to I line up to do the dishes so I can lick the plates?
Thanks.

Very nice. Congratulations on the rotator ride
Thanks. I'm not sure what kind of algorithm they use for choosing featured content. I haven't posted in a while; been busy working in the garden, mending fences, and a vacation in paradise (Tahiti).

It's somewhat of a shame they broke it down into steaks but you made the absolute best of it. That is an amazing looking dinner and the Picanha is perfectly cooked. Very nice sir!!

Robert

Looks amazing! Nice grill ya got there. Hard to believe they wouldn’t sell the whole piece at the sale price, that’s just silly on their part.

That's a mighty fine looking meal, Steve! :emoji_grinning:

The thing about the whole picanha costing more than the steaks is ridiculous. At most he could've charged you what the steaks cost and that would still be too much especially when you consider trim loss on the steaks, the labor cost to cut them, and the material cost to package them. My 2¢...

That is one heck of a pit and a meal! Very cool!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky