Too much time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbpaducah

Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
Paducah, KY
I put a 10 pound pork shoulder on my Vision kamado style smoker last night at 730.  I maintained the temp an average of 240 degrees as measured by a high tech trendicator (thermocouple instrument).  It is 230 the next day and the internal temp of the shoulder is 174 degrees where it has been since this morning.  I have tried different thermometers and the result is the same...........I can't seem to get it to 190 or beyond.  I just took it off the smoker and placed in in the oven to finish.  This is okay but I should be able to finish on the smoker.  I have had similar problems with a 40 Masterbuilt and pork butts taking 18-20 hours.  Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?  This is driving me krazy!!!!!!  Thanks, sbpaducah, newbie

I put a 10 pound pork shoulder on my Vision kamado style smoker last night at 730.  I maintained the temp an average of 240 degrees as measured by a high tech trendicator (thermocouple instrument).  It is 230 the next day and the internal temp of the shoulder is 174 degrees where it has been since this morning.  I have tried different thermometers and the result is the same...........I can't seem to get it to 190 or beyond.  I just took it off the smoker and placed in in the oven to finish.  This is okay but I should be able to finish on the smoker.  I have had similar problems with a 40 Masterbuilt and pork butts taking 18-20 hours.  Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?  This is driving me krazy!!!!!!  Thanks, sbpaducah, newbie
SB Have you checked you thermometer with boiling water?

Thanks for the reply Richie, yes in boiling water and on the other end water with melting ice.  1-2 degrees off at most. 

Thanks for the reply Richie, yes in boiling water and on the other end water with melting ice.  1-2 degrees off at most. 
SB You will get a piece like that now and then.Try foiling with some beer or apple juice.You can always bump the temp up.Why don't you stop by Roll Call so everyone can give you a warm Welcome to SMF

Richie

18+ hours is kinda ridiculous for pork butts. I usually aim for 275 as my target temp for pork butts, I don't usually foil at all unless they get done early. At 275 I usually give myself 12-14 hours for a 10 pound butt, usually by 10-12 hours they are done. And remember if you're looking you're not cookin, open that thing as little as possible. I'd get another thermometer as well, I just can't see how at 240 degrees pit temp, a 10 pound butt would only be at 174 degrees after 19 hours. Get a simple oven thermometer and put it in your pit next to the pork. And check your meat thermometer as well. The number just don't add up.

Last edited:
I think I agree with that 275 degree number but I am a little afraid that the higher heat may dry out the meat?  I have a neighbor that is on a cooking team and he swears by 225 but I'm thinking that is too low especially if you have an electric smoker that controls 15-25 degrees on either side of the 225 like the MES 40 does.  Also, he says that he cooks a large butt in 10-12 hours.  I can't see that happening at 225.  I would like to hear from some of you on this time/temperature issue.  I am now using a Vision, kamado style cooker and I think I am going to really like cooking on lump charcoal and chunks of hickory and cherry wood.  Thanks!

I cook picnics at 275- 300. Still very moist. They take under a hour per lb in my mini

There are plenty of guys cooking butts, ribs and brisket at 325-350 and getting really good results. 275 -300 is pretty safe, butts are very forgiving.

SB, when you were measuring the temps at 240, where was the temp probe ?   By my math, it was 19 hrs at an avg temp of 240 and the butt was only up to 174 ?  Something is definitely wrong somewhere.

I'm on a brisket smoke as I type this, it's coming on 2pm central, I started at 10pm central last night. I go for an IT of 205, I've averaged a grate temp of 230, and I'm at 197 IT right now. At least another hour to go. This is a 15lb packer, untrimmed.
You just never really know, but you have to be willing to ride it out for the long haul. This is a 16lb packer btw.

My temp probe was at grill level.  My average is my estimate of where I saw the temps during the course of the night..........265 one time and 240 the next.  This is on a kamado style cooker and sometimes the temps fluctuate.  I took it off at approx. 174 and put it in the oven on 250 for 1 1/2 hours and took it out.  It had good bark and was moist and tender and very good!

My temp probe was at grill level.  My average is my estimate of where I saw the temps during the course of the night..........265 one time and 240 the next.  This is on a kamado style cooker and sometimes the temps fluctuate.  I took it off at approx. 174 and put it in the oven on 250 for 1 1/2 hours and took it out.  It had good bark and was moist and tender and very good!
Something is even further off.  Fluctuating between 265 and 240 would put the avg temp of the cook around 250.  Meat temp should have been higher in 17 hrs.

I smoke my butts in a home made electric smoker that is heated with a 1500 watt burner element and i use a PID to control it and Im plus or minus 2 degrees at most!  That being said I smoke mine at 200 degrees and on average a 12# butt takes 12 hours to go to 180 degrees!  I usually wrap in commercial film and then foil and put back int o smoker 8-10 hrs in!

I seem to see different temps based on where the probe is.  What do you know about positioning the probe for inside temps?  Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky