Too much smoke from AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

randalldad

Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Illinois
I am on my inaugural smoke with an AMNPS. Using a MES30. Tray lit fine and using pellets. Tray is on top of the inverted water pan, on left side, not over elements. I have the top wide open, and the smoke tub only about 1 inch out. I started with nice thin smoke, but now at full smoker temp (275), the smoke coming out is darker and billowing. Is this too much air? I don't want to open the door to look at the tray for obvious reasons. HELP!

I wonder if the whole tray caught on fire. Opening the door will not hurt. Just make sure you have some tongs and somewhere to put the tray if on fire.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems like the whole tray caught fire. All the pellets were black but not burning when I opened it. (Bear, yes it's 5x8 tray). I onlly had the wood tube 1-2 inches out. I guess that was too much air, and that's why it caught fire??

Yes, it seems like the whole tray caught fire. All the pellets were black but not burning when I opened it. (Bear, yes it's 5x8 tray). I onlly had the wood tube 1-2 inches out. I guess that was too much air, and that's why it caught fire??

How full did you have the tray---It should be no closer to the top, than 3/8".
Which model is your MES,--Picture of inside???
And where exactly did you have it?

Bear

Masterbuilt MB20071117 Digital Electric Smoker, 30 inch, Black. Maybe I had it too full before. The pic below is my second try right now... This one burning much slower (I did not microwave the pellets like I did the first batch.)

Attachments

• 20210316_103959.jpg
    20210316_103959.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210316_104148.jpg
    20210316_104148.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 52
Try filling it 3/8" down from the top.
Then put your bottom rack in, and put the AMNPS all the way over on the right, on that bottom rack. (See Pic Below)
Put your water pan in the place it belongs, right side up.
See what happens:
If you have trouble keeping it going, pull the dumper out 2 or 3 inches.
If it smokes too much, push the dumper back in.
Top vent all the way open.

Bear

IMG_1658.jpeg

Reactions: randalldad
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky