Too many types of wood for one smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fish'nSmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
Tulsa, OK
I have peach/Pecan pellets for use in a pellet tube and competition blend chips(pecan, cherry, oak) and Jack Daniels barrel oak chips. Would using all of them in one smoke be too much mix and match of flavors or is it fine? I was thinking about ribs and the 3-2-1 method. First three hours peach pecan pellets, 2 hours wrapped so no smoke, final hour the competition blend chips. So four different types of wood total for one cook. Or should I buy some peach and pecan chips to finish off?

Assuming you're smoking pork you'll be just fine. Don't over think it

Assuming you're smoking pork you'll be just fine. Don't over think it
Yes it will be pork ribs. I just didn't know if I should reload the pellets for the final hour or just use chips for the whole thing. Might as well give it a whirl haha

There is a big difference between hickory and mesquite for smoke. When you blend chips or pellets, it tends to be more neutral in my opinion. For ribs I personally like hickory and apple...but pecan is always nice.

Any smoke you put on your ribs will be good. I agree with don’t overthink it. Take pics! Post it!

There is a big difference between hickory and mesquite for smoke. When you blend chips or pellets, it tends to be more neutral in my opinion. For ribs I personally like hickory and apple...but pecan is always nice.

Any smoke you put on your ribs will be good. I agree with don’t overthink it. Take pics! Post it!
Will do! I would make a plan but knowing me, when it's time to start the smoker is when I'll decide what wood to use! But i will take pics for sure!

I have peach/Pecan pellets for use in a pellet tube and competition blend chips(pecan, cherry, oak) and Jack Daniels barrel oak chips. Would using all of them in one smoke be too much mix and match of flavors or is it fine? I was thinking about ribs and the 3-2-1 method. First three hours peach pecan pellets, 2 hours wrapped so no smoke, final hour the competition blend chips. So four different types of wood total for one cook. Or should I buy some peach and pecan chips to finish off?
Hi there and welcome!
It shouldn't hurt anything but with 4-6 different woods I'm not sure you'll be able to figure out which wood is contributing which flavor hahaha.

My question is where did you get peach pellets from and are they 100% peach? What is the pellet brand?

Hi there and welcome!
It shouldn't hurt anything but with 4-6 different woods I'm not sure you'll be able to figure out which wood is contributing which flavor hahaha.

My question is where did you get peach pellets from and are they 100% peach? What is the pellet brand?
They are peach and pecan mix. They are Cabelas brand. I ordered them off Bass Pro website and had shipped to store. I live only a mile from Bass Pro so it was convenient.

They are peach and pecan mix. They are Cabelas brand. I ordered them off Bass Pro website and had shipped to store. I live only a mile from Bass Pro so it was convenient.

Thanks for the info, i'll check that out! :)

Reactions: Fish'nSmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky