Too billowy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwhite82986

Original poster
May 5, 2017
I know I posted another thread about thin blue smoke, but still new at this I realize there is somewhat of a learning curve....thoughts please. This was 5 minutes after I put the meat on, so unsure of a flare up

The first photo looks perfect, the second a little too much smoke.

But it will sometimes happen that way. It's not going to be perfect all the time.

Al

If your putting your chucks in front of your vents they're probably igniting. 

Chris

How long does it smoke like that? I've found sometimes when you first add chunks they will "billow" smoke for a few minutes then settle down.
My theory is that the smoker fills with fresh air when you open it and untill that fresh oxygen is consumed enough to cause the wood to just smolder it'll billow like that. If after a few minutes it settles down you're good to go.
It's like gmc2003 said if there's an air source like a vent (or your smoker is leaky around the bottom) near your chunks the fresh air will make them burn instead of smolder causing heavier smoke.

Walt.

I put about 5-6 chunks on top, let it settle, then it billows like that for about 5-10 minutes after meat goes on before settling down

5-6 chunks sounds like alot to me, depending on the size...but that being said 5-10 minutes is absolutely no big deal...if it smoked like that for an hour I'd be a little worried but as SmokinAl said...you're only border line to much so as long as it settles down I'd guess you've got no issues.

Walt

At least it's Blue smoke .. myself,I think it looks fine... I do have to disagree with a comment made about wood burning (flames) making for heavier smoke... once wood ignites into flames the smoke becomes cleaner/lighter (hence a clean fire when stick burning)) ... smoldering puts out much more smoke ... especially a cold smolder .. meaning... when a cold (ambient temp) piece of wood is put on the fire it puts out more whitish/heavier smoke... once that piece gets up to kindling temp (ignition point) then it settles down into a thin blue smoke (TBS) ... This is why when oxygen is added in a large amount (via open door) the wood will burst into flames....

At least this is what I have experienced ... your results may differ ...

Right..I think it's that in between point where it's not starved quite of enough air that causes the heavy unwanted dense smoke...the point where it is beyond smolder but not quite ignited... because you are right, ignited flaming wood doesn't smoke near as much.

Walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky